Problem with ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Who ever wired my place needs help, its not wired with a ring main up and another ring main down but all over the place.

I have had trouble with one of the ring mains tripping on and off for the last 14 months, but now its blow alltogether and wont reset. So sockets are dead up and downstairs in different rooms.

I know how to check for faults but what I need is a (mega meter) or something to provide the current through the cables im checking.

Whats it called guys and where would I get on????

Thanks in advance

Jack

Sponsored Links
Jack- Unplug everything on the ring, the circuit should then reset (unless you have a critical wiring fault).

If the whole property is on 1 x 32a ring, the tripping might be a overload issue.

32a x 230v = 7000w or 7 Kw.

I'd suggest you do an audit of the devices that might all be used at once to obtain a peak watt use value. If that's over the 7 Kw limit, then the ring design fails to meet your needs and your have to consider splitting the single ring in to seperate circuits.

You know how to test, but you don't know what the test instrument is called? Strange combination...

Anyway - what you're talking about is an insulation resistance tester. Often called a "Megger" in the same way that people call ball-point pens "Biros", vacuum cleaners "Hoovers" etc.

Megger is still going, and is a good make, as is Fluke, and there are a number of other commonly found manufacturers.

Most IR testers will also do continuity testing.

If you Google for Megger, Fluke, Metrel, Alphatek etc you'll find lots of suppliers, and of course there's always eBay - usual caveats apply...

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Jack- Unplug everything on the ring, the circuit should then reset (unless you have a critical wiring fault).

Or unless the MCB has been up and down like a bride's nightie and is now worn out.

I can't tell from the OP if it is the MCB or an RCD that has tripped.

Sponsored Links
I have unplugged all items from the ring main in question but still trips.

I have 2 32a ring mains its just there not upstairs/downstairs but all over the place lol

I will google for meggar and get myself one...

Thanks guys

JAck

I would suggest that from a financial point of view that it would be cheaper & quicker to get an electrician in to find & repair this fault!!

Insulation testers are not cheap, but you should also need accurate low voltage ohm meter, earth fault impedance meter and possibly also a RCD tester - If you get a new all 'in one' tester that it will cost you ITRO £500

As a little side issue, what with the new regs comming out soon I suspect this sort of setup with ringmains will become the norm (1 ring does up & down to the back rooms then 2nd ring does up & down for front rooms of a property or equally left & right) because of the proposed new rcd requirements.

If it's tripping with no appliances plugged in then surely you should be looking for a L-N or L-E short before whacking it with a megger which tests for insulation?

A megger (IR tester) will show problems with insulation resistance or a short. Just make sure everything is unplugged or disconnected from the circuit under test.

Err... why?

Hello BAN not seen you posting about for awhile.
Anyway my thinking was if you split all circuits over 2 rcd's (as seems to be the upcomming requirements according to some forums you read) I'd have thought it would make sense to have some upstairs & downstairs sockets & lights on one rcd, then the same on the second rcd. So in effect splitting the house left & right, instead of up & down, this way if a wiring fault or faulty appliance occurs then a complete floor isnt with out lighting/sockets due to rcd tripping.

Hope that makes some sort of sense :LOL:

that kind of setup is all too easy to interconnect by accident when installing new sockets or from new when pulling wires..

that kind of setup is all too easy to interconnect by accident when installing new sockets or from new when pulling wires..

Though it would be highlighted with correct testing methods before energising.
Not a good idea to wire that way though.

Back again, I may have got lucky tracing the ring main from one socket downstairs it goes into a boxed in section round the soil stack in the garage from the upstairs on suite. and what do i find but a junction box which can only be described as rusty as the shower waste into the soil stack has been leaking and running down the cable into the junction box.

So I have repeared the leaking pipe replaced the junction box and switched on.

At present all seems well, let hope that was the cause and its not an ongoing intermittent thing.

Thanks to all for you help.

Jack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back