Problem with ring main

this way if a wiring fault or faulty appliance occurs then a complete floor isnt with out lighting/sockets due to rcd tripping.

I have seen houses wired this way, using two colours of cable (sheath, not inner insulation), with a note at the board to point people in the right direction.

IF I ever get round to rewiring Secure Towers, I'll probably do it this way.

Sponsored Links
How about one ring per floor, plus a different 20A radial circuit for the stairwell sockets? Simpler to understand, and if necessary you could plug your tools in with a longish lead.

Secure Towers will have a separate circuit for the Front Stairs, the Servants' Stairs, the Private stairs, and the Fire Stairs.

My parents house (which was built in mid 70's) is wired with two 30 amp ringfinals, one for each half of the house instead of separate floors and then another 30 amp ringfinal for outbuildings.

Don't think I've seen this method elsewhere though.

This house has three rings.
Front/Back/kitchen
Not unusual for 70s wiring.

Sponsored Links
this way if a wiring fault or faulty appliance occurs then a complete floor isnt with out lighting/sockets due to rcd tripping.

I have seen houses wired this way, using two colours of cable (sheath, not inner insulation), with a note at the board to point people in the right direction.

IF I ever get round to rewiring Secure Towers, I'll probably do it this way.
It's a shame you can't buy cable in all sorts of colours. The core colours are of course standard, but there's no reason why sheaths shouldn't be red, yellow, green, pink, purple etc.

The fun you could have...

It's a shame you can't buy cable in all sorts of colours. The core colours are of course standard, but there's no reason why sheaths shouldn't be red, yellow, green, pink, purple etc.

The fun you could have...

We used to use 1.0mm² t+e with red outer sheath for wiring fire alarm call points!

Oh you don't do you?

I know you can but it's kind of like saying "Well I'm not going to stringfellows tonight, I'll get my mum to give me a lapdance. She's a woman"

It's just not right :mad:

tell us more about your mum. she sounds like she could be fun.

Ey up, lad! tha's nowt wrong wi' 'ankerin' afte' mature flesh, tha nos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back