Problem with Sunhouse storage heater

I would not have chosen a phone charger - the phone could have been fully charged. Alternatively the timer on your off peak meter could have been out of sync. Or maybe it was all a dream ;)
Better to have chosen a portable lamp and got up a bit earlier or plug your heater back into the socket and see what happens overnight.
After all we know the heater works - there appears to be power coming to the socket albeit for a short while. It could still have been your now changed 20amp switch that was causing the problem.

Have you had a search on the internet for the instructions for your meter or contact your meter supply they should send you one. Most econ7 meters have a boost or override button just incase you get a very cold snap. It might save you having to get up early or stay up late.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

I tried the 'lamp test' again this morning bright and early (dark and early) but with different results, I followed your advice and used a lamp instead of my camera charger. Nothing happened this morning, flicked on the switch and tried to turn the lamp on - nothing (and I got up even earlier this morning).

I will certainly have a look for the boost/override button so I can diagnose the problem a bit faster. If I still got nothing then I'll get an electrician in to open up the consumer unit.

Watch this space!

Sponsored Links
What size is that off peak switch :?:
Looks like a 40Amp to me but from a learning perspective what difference will it make?
It is obviously switched on - power is getting through to the 4 panel MCB and onto the majority of the panels.
I assume it is some form of contactor switch but isn't it an all on or all off type?

I'm afraid all I can add to this is that each of the boxes in that photo have 2 switches on them. All 4 of these switches are currntly in the 'on' position.

Its the number stamped on the front, left is B63 ? right is ?

What size is that off peak switch :?:
Looks like a 40Amp to me but from a learning perspective what difference will it make?
It is obviously switched on - power is getting through to the 4 panel MCB and onto the majority of the panels.
I assume it is some form of contactor switch but isn't it an all on or all off type?

Looks to me like a B6 thats why, if so, its too small for the heater load and may be working a control circuit for the 4 pole contactor which does the 4 heaters, the meter tail may possibly going direct to the cu and a 24 hour supply.
I cannot see the reason for the contactor if the meter is timed for off peak

I would not have chosen a phone charger - the phone could have been fully charged. Alternatively the timer on your off peak meter could have been out of sync. Or maybe it was all a dream ;)
Better to have chosen a portable lamp and got up a bit earlier or plug your heater back into the socket and see what happens overnight.
After all we know the heater works - there appears to be power coming to the socket albeit for a short while. It could still have been your now changed 20amp switch that was causing the problem.

Have you had a search on the internet for the instructions for your meter or contact your meter supply they should send you one. Most econ7 meters have a boost or override button just incase you get a very cold snap. It might save you having to get up early or stay up late.

Never seen a boost button on an E7 meter, how does that work then?

The meter and teleswitch are probably located in a meter room, to save running two submains a signall pair is switched by the T/S to operate the contactor in the off peak DB, hence the B6 mcb

My initial thought is that one of the poles of the contactor has failed and is only making intermittent contact, needs checking out by a spark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back