Problem with Sunhouse storage heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a Sunhouse storage heater (SSH18M - 79353s) which has recently stopped working. I went away for a week so switched it off before I went, when I switched it back on a week later - nothing. It's been a few days now without heat and it's snowing outside :(

Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong or help me to diagnose what is wrong myself? I took the front off it but to be honest I'm not really sure what I'm looking at.

By the way, I did see a similar post to mine on this forum but sadly couldn't resolve my problem.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

Sponsored Links
I see. Do you have any idea how I can test to see which which of those the problem might be?

Thanks,

Andy

I assume that this heater just plugs into a wall socket if so.

Then plug it into a socket that you know works - if it doesn't work.
Check/change the fuse in the plug. Try again - if it still doesn't work.
Then you have a problem with the mechanics of the heater.
To do additional tests on say the element you will need a multi-meter do you have one?
If you are not electrically competent then it will probably best to try and get it repaired professionally.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a multimeter, and the knowledge on how to use it?

Starting at the mains input, and your meter on the ohms range its a sime task to waork through from input to output and identify where the problem is.

NOTE:

all test done with ALL of the cables completely disconnected from the supply!

Thanks people,

The heater is wired directly into the mains, there is an 'on/off' switch on the wall but no plug.

Yes, I do have a multimeter and (some) idea of how to use it although I'm not sure what to test first! Can you walk me through it step by step? I can upload some pictures if that helps?

Hello,

I've uploaded some pictures into an album called "Storage Heater Pics" on my profile. I would like to start testing to see which part of the heater isn't working. Can anyone help me here? Where do I start and how do I do it?

Also, does anyone know if these things just have a reset switch? I can't seem to find one but might it have just tripped?

Getting cold now!

Any help with this would really be appreciated. I don't know what to do and really can't afford a new storage heater.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

It's difficult to advise from here as you must not work on live wires and equipment.

You really need an electrician who can test for continuity from the consumer unit to the heater with the power turned off.

There is probably a thermal cut-out which may or may not be resettable.

Google the make and model number.

Thanks very much for both your replies. I've only just seen these and went ahead and tried something last night - I removed the thermostat and all the bits connected to it (see the circled area in one of my pics (pic is called "circled") and swapped it with the same part from a different storage heater in another room (a reliable one). This morning - the faulty heater was still cold (even with its new thermostat etc) and the reliable heater was warm as normal. This tells me that it's not the thermostat or anything in the circled picture that's broken (obviously ;) )

So...thanks very much again for both your replies, and now I have another question:

Taylortwocities, I'm going to start testing at the wall switch and see where the problem is (as you suggested). As this is a storage heater and works on Economy 7 tariff, do I need to wait until midnight to do the testing?

As this is a storage heater and works on Economy 7 tariff, do I need to wait until midnight to do the testing?

you must not work on live wires and equipment.
all test done with ALL of the cables completely disconnected from the supply!
You're not 'listening'.

Firstly, Switch of the heater CU even though the power is not on during the day.
Test for dead.
Disconnect the heater cable from the wall switch and connect a normal plug to it.
Then (with extension lead if necessary) plug heater in - if it works then there is a fault in the circuit.

If it still doesn't work (most likely) then there is a fault in the heater.

If this is the case, disconnect the plug then with your meter on low ohms (beep) and one probe at the end of the cable on the brown wire
with the other probe follow the wiring around the heater checking for continuity or loss of it.

Make sure the heater controls are on, presumably will be as it's cold.

If you get to the element(s) with continuity then repeat the procedure using the blue wire.

I assume that this heater just plugs into a wall socket if so.

Then plug it into a socket that you know works - if it doesn't work.
Check/change the fuse in the plug. Try again - if it still doesn't work.
Then you have a problem with the mechanics of the heater.
To do additional tests on say the element you will need a multi-meter do you have one?
Have you checked the fuse?
I know it is wired directly into the fcu but before you test the mains why not undo the cable at the FCU and fit a plug and test the heater at at a socket you know works.

Thanks to the last two posters.

EFLImpudence - this is exactly the level of assitance I needed (as you can tell I'm not used to doing this sort of stuff). I wasn't trying to electricute myself and certainly wasn't trying to ignore your advice - I just wasn't always completely sure what you were saying (and didn't want to start mucking about when I wasn't 100% sure what to do). I'll try your recommendations this weekend.

I'll let you know how I get on, thanks once again.

It is worth staying up to check if there is off peak power. It'll save you all sorts of messing around.

Attach a known working lamp (eg) to the heater supply point and see if you get lit up at midnight (or whenever).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back