Problem with switch/dimmer connections.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's my problem,
Why do manufacturers make items with connectors that will not take 2 mains single core wires , yet clearly need them - ie on dimmer switch 2 on common. Why do builders fit these items and when i take them out wires come out that clearly have not been tightened in.
What do other people do with this problem. Also just taken off dimmer switch - brass - to find no earth to switch plate - was one to back box.

Regards

Palacefatboy

Sponsored Links
Use connector block and fly lead it where necessary.

Use connector block and fly lead it where necessary.

Thanks thats what i've done on one dimmer with deep back box however one back box is just 25mm deep so that poses a problem.

Any suggestions other than replace back box which cant be done.

Thanks again

Palacefatboy

Sponsored Links
Of course it can be done. What you mean is you don't want to change the box.

I've never yet met a dimmer which will not take more tahn one wire per terminal. Maybe you're not trying hard enough?

25mm should be sufficient space, I've had a box which is 16mm before so just bought a 10mm spacer which it then fitted.

I've never yet met a dimmer which will not take more tahn one wire per terminal. Maybe you're not trying hard enough?

OK what i should say is it will not tighten when 2 wires placed in it and it must be a recurring problem cos about 50% of switches i've ever removed have had loose wires.

Palacefatboy

Buy a spacer frame. As RF says - that will allow you to connect more tahn 1 one wire !

Dont twist the wires together, it takes up more space.

Line them up, like soldiers, then tighten up the screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back