Problem with unglazed ceramic floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise me on how to cope with unglazed floor tiles in our kitchen? We had a new floor laid last year and these tiles are very difficult to care for. I have treated them many times with LTP mattstone floor sealer as recommended by the shop but the tiles remain very difficult to clean and seem to be getting quite stained. Any ideas welcome! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Replace them with glazed tiles.

what tiles are they? quarries, unglazed porcelain?

what sort of staining issues are you having, watermarks, fatty stains etc?

Hi they are unglazed porcelain, not quarry tiles. The stains are more scuff marks from shoes rather than water marks. I think Ive sealed them ok but the surface seems to get marked easily and its really hard work cleaning them. Worst buy Ive ever made.

Sponsored Links
ah yes ok. its not true of all unglazed porcelain, but if they aren't nano polished, have a texture or aren't the best quality you can have issues.

short of joe-90's suggestion, you could try this....

given your description i'd suggest you'd be better off with LTP glaze protector, not mattstone see

http://www.ltp-online.co.uk/ltp-glaze-protector_21.html

or you could try this..

http://lithofin-uk.co.uk/wp-content...porcelaintiles-methodstatement-1329378236.pdf

Lithofin is just another brand of products, but they are very good at what they do, and importantly very helpful. Give casdron (lithofins distributor) a ring, describe your issue and see what they suggest.

You could try the same with LTP, give them a call and discuss - see what they suggest.

One point of note though, standard cleaners (flash etc) strip sealers from these kind of tiles quite quickly - if your floor is ok after sealing but then loses its resistance, you might need to use ltps/lithofins cleaning product too.

Thanks for your advice. I have tried the glaze protector and it does look better so far. Fingers crossed it will be easier to care for.
Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back