Problem with Yale 6400 external siren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m trying to add the external siren and whatever I try it doesn’t go off with the alarm. I’m not clear if it has been added properly, but it appears that it hasn’t though I dont know how to check other than see if it goes off with the alarm - not that there is no delay on the external siren. Ive tried various steps:

Set the program switch to clear memory as shown. Pressed the siren learn button a few times to drain any residual power.

Replaced the Batteries
Switched Siren on and off and attempted to relearn

The siren itself behaves as per the instructions and beeps/ flashes each LED when turned off / Beeps when put in learn mode.

If I select any of the following controller menu options I just get a beep and no action seems to be taken.

• Learn Siren
• Siren Tamp. On
• Siren Tamp. Off
• Confirm On
• Confirm Off
• Entry Send On
• Entry Send Off

Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you learn in the siren from the control panel the four dip switches should be in the off position (after switching 1 on and pressing learn to clear the memory)
When they are all off (but the power switch is on) then press the learn button once (the two outside leds should light) then press learn again (the single centre led should light.

You are now ready to follow the learn instructions from the control panel.

Just follow the instructions from the panel.

To test if the siren has learnt in and is working then ensure you have chosen siren tamper on - confirm is usually better as off

press the top backspace key to exit from the programme menu and the panel should beep and display alarm off.

Now press keys 1 and 3 together - this is the panic feature of the panel and will activate the control panels siren and the external siren if it has correctly programmed in. WEAR EAR PLUGS

to silence press green then your code.

go back into programming mode and choose devices/program siren/siren tamper off before finishing the install and mounting the siren and devices.

I followed your instructions but still no joy.

The siren itself behaves as you described with the outside lights lighting on the first click of the learn button and the middle light on the second click. however when I go to the console and select Program Siren | Learn Siren all I get is a beep and nothing else. Subsequent testing with the panic alarm confirmed that the siren hadn't been added.

Also I checked that the switches on the siren are all in the off position.

Any further thoughts? Is there anyway of removing sirens from the system and starting again?

Thanks

Ok now you are begining to test me.

I see from your previous posts that you have tried various settings to see wether they have any effect.
Could you check to make sure you haven't added a delay onto the siren?

This would mean that when you pressed the panic feature obviously the sirens wouldn't immediately sound.

Other than that it is just a case of carefully following the previously outlined procrdure.

Did you go through the easy set up and follow the instructions as given on screen or are you trying to add the siren after the system has already been programmed?

Also when you said you tried the settings in the previous post but that all you got was a beep That is all you would get. you wouldn't get any further onscreen instructions. The beep is just a confirmation that the instruction you sent (where the cursor was flashing) to the siren was accepted

Sponsored Links
I’ve checked previously to see if there was a delay but there isn’t. My system has been up for a year but I only recently became aware that the outside siren didn’t appear to be working. I thought that the batteries were flat but when I turned off the tamper setting the alarm still went off when I took the cover off. So I thought that the siren had been added properly when I installed the system, but now I’m not sure. Hence my question as to whether there is a way to remove a siren from the system and then re-add it.

Thanks

There is no actual way to remove a siren from the system the same way you can remove individual sensors.
The panel has twenty zones for whatever devices you need ie , pir , contacts , fobs etc.
These channels are where the control panel receives signals IN from the devices.
however the sirens all share one channel or zone together. The control panel sends out an alarm activation signal and the sirens receive it and activate. In this respect you can actually have as many sirens as you want with the 6400 system. All you have to do is teach the siren the particular signal the control panel gives out.
To do this the siren must be in LEARN mode so it will LEARN the signal sent by the control panel.
When you press the learn button on the siren the two outside leds come on.
This is when the siren will learn the signal transmitted from the panel.

Try learning the siren in again from the devices/program siren/learn siren menu again, but make sure you follow the instructions to the letter.
If you get it right it should follow this routine...
prog menu/devices/programme siren

press learn siren
panel instructs you to press learn button on siren
You press learn button and outside two leds flash
panel asks if you heard a beep
you tick yes
next panel transmits signal to the siren,
The two outside leds flash this indicates the siren has received the signal.
then the siren bleeps again but this time only the centre led flashes because the siren has just sent a signal to take the siren out of learn mode and back to normal status.
If you heard two bleeps and saw the outside leds flash followed by the inside led then the siren is learnt into the system.

Thanks for hanging in there with me - Ive followed your instructions however when I select Learn Siren the control unit emits a single beep and the display doesn't change i.e. the control unit doesn't issue an instruction to press the learn button on the siren.

Thoughts?

Just ensure that the flashing cursor is definately next to learn siren. It may be next to siren tamper on when you press the key.

I followed your instructions but still no joy.

The siren itself behaves as you described with the outside lights lighting on the first click of the learn button and the middle light on the second click. however when I go to the console and select Program Siren | Learn Siren all I get is a beep and nothing else. Subsequent testing with the panic alarm confirmed that the siren hadn't been added.

Also I checked that the switches on the siren are all in the off position.

Any further thoughts? Is there anyway of removing sirens from the system and starting again?

Thanks

We had exactly the same issue with our alarm. We have just this minute solved the problem so if you have not already resolved the problem here is what we found:

The first thing to understand is that in the installation guide "Add Siren" where it shows the buttons in clear mode and in normal mode the white represents off and the black represents on (hope that makes sense - didn't know how else to describe it!)

The second thing is that once you have cleared the memory, switched the power back on and pressed the learn button once to light the two outside LEDs you then need to go to your control panel and press: PROG MENU > DEVICES > PROGRAMME SIREN > LEARN SIREN before returning to the siren to press the learn button to light up the inside LED.

Yaleguy2 said that the control panel "instructs you to press learn button on siren" and you said you control panel "emits a single beep and the display doesn't change i.e. the control unit doesn't issue an instruction to press the learn button on the siren." Ours was exactly the same as yours and I thought it must be faulty but obviously it's not as it is now working!

I would write instructions as follows (borrowing a lot of instructions from Yaleguy2 & the manual):

1. Remove siren cover and ensure the power is switched off.
2. Switch swich number 1 on (the "clear" diagram in the manual shows this) and press "learn" to clear the memory

3. Switch swich number 1 back to the off position (and ensure all the four dip switches are in the off position)
When they are all off turn the power switch on then press the learn button once (the two outside leds should light)
4. Return to your control panel and press: PROG MENU > DEVICES > PROGRAMME SIREN > LEARN SIREN the siren then beeps
5. Return again to the siren to press the learn button again.

6. To test if the siren has learnt in and is working
press the top backspace key to exit from the programme menu and the panel should beep and display alarm off. Now press keys 1 and 3 together - this is the panic feature of the panel and will activate the control panels siren and the external siren if it has correctly programmed in. WEAR EAR PLUGS
7.To silence press green then your code.
8.Go back into programming mode and choose: devices > program siren > siren tamper off Before finishing the installation, mounting the siren and putting on the cover.

• Thanks
Reactions: Foo
Thanks so much littlemisskatt. I followed your steps and it worked first time. Shame the documentation isnt clear and that the learn steps are different to other devices, but with your help I got there in the end.

Helo,

This sounds like the problem I am having in my new house where the alarm was previously istalled. I have taken the siren off the wall, tried everything and its now back on the wall and still not working.

My question is, can i go through all the procedure that littlemisskatt has put forward while the unit is still mounted on the wall or do I have to take it off again.

It's been driving me round the bend so I hope this works.

Many thanks

you can do it while mounted on the wall, but I would recommend you un-fix it and bring it into the house. It is much easier when you don't have to keep running up and down ladders, and will not annoy the neighbours. You will see that the top screw can be left in the wall, and the case should lift-off the screw head unless it is very tight.

While you have the lid off, you can put a rubber band round the Tamper switch to make it think it is pressed against the wall.

Cheers John,

I'll make it a 2 man job and leave it attached to the wall.

When its done will the LED's flash when the alarm is on?

Cheers,

No the LEDS only flash if the alarm is triggered.
You will see a flash of the leds when you arm the system too when the timer countdown finishes.

I am wondering two years and the same issues?
Does the manufacturer not take these accounts into mind and offer fixes?
Redesign the obvious defects?

Before anyone scream "hijack" the thread was anyway.

See rule 6.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back