Problem with Yale 6400 external siren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I take your point Alarm.

You are commenting that in two years, two people have reported a similar sounding problem? And are you drawing some kind of conclusion from that? What is your conclusion?

Sponsored Links
My conclusion is this is not the first time this has cropped up about this.
This is one of multiple times this has been asked here, about this issue ( You look it up, as you seem to have nothing else better to do).
The fact someone has jumped onto this particular one is proof it is a long lasting issue.

Your conclusion?

As I said I was wondering why the above keep occurring.

Your conclusion?

As I said I was wondering why the above keep occurring.

Your conclusion?
I haven't seen the evidence that it "keeps occurring"

I see two similar reports in two years.

I bet there are plenty of manufacturer's of electronic equipment that would rejoice to have such a rate of problem reports.

I can't tell if the users phoned the Yale helpline as directed on the instructions. I found them very helpful when I lost a screw and asked them to send me a spare, also when I asked for an online link to the instructions for an older system.

When I installed a 6400, I read the instructions a couple of times and it worked for me, including when I later fitted a new siren as an extra, so in my experience it seems OK. What was your experience when you installed them? Or are you sniping from a position of ignorance?

From plenty of experience of assisting others on here how to fit it correctly on here.
Try doing some research rather than jumping on a bandwagon.

But that would then prove you wrong again, and we cannot have that can we :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
you've forgotten to answer my question, or to respond to my point.

I hope you're not feeling crotchety again.

Alarm you have assisted a few on here when you can from what your interpretation of the manual is. You certainly haven't assisted as many as others. You have not fitted an actual alarm so you cannot claim to have the experience neccessary otherwise instead of attempting to rubbish the equipment without an validity you would be giving appropriate advice instead.

As mentioned , a couple of users not quite understanding a process does not make the product bad.
I certainly have NEVER been in a position where I was unable to learn in a siren.

As mentioned , a couple of users not quite understanding a process does not make the product bad.
Users seldom understand the limitations of using radio communications on a general licence frequency. They see wireless as the way forward because it is sold that way when in fact wireless between items of fixed equipment is often a sales gimmick. For alarm systems it uses simple installation as a way to sell systems to people who [1] believe the salesman without question and [2] would not install an alarm if it meant having to put wires around the house.

Few products depending on radio communication are "bad" but all are compromised by the restrictions and problems imposed on the radio communications it uses and the conflicting need to reduce power consumption to the mimimum. My opinion is that there are battery operated, wireless alarm systems that are well designed to do the best they can given the restrictions thay have to comply with.

I certainly have NEVER been in a position where I was unable to learn in a siren.
If the siren is on the table next to the panel then it is almost impossible for the radio linkage between them to not work. The problem comes when the "learnt in" siren is moved from the table and placed on the outside wall where it may be at or beyond the range of reliable communication from the panel.

Which is why I always test the system after installation.

Which is why I always test the system after installation.
What test do you perform ? It should include a field strength measurement of the signal at the receiver to ensure it is well above the minimum level required by the receiver for reliable operation. Then apply the reduction factors for things that will reduce the field strength, for example a wall soaked by rain will reduce the signal passing through it more than a dry wall will.

When I get my first reported siren failure I will report back with my findings. Still waiting for that to happen.
Everyone is advised to change batteries every two years regardless.
Its all there on my website and with the advice given upon installation.

When I get my first reported siren failure I will report back with my findings.
How many un-reported siren failures have occured ?
How many people actually test the alarm will respond to an intruder by setting it and then opening a window or otherwise simulating an intruder ?
How many victims of burglary where the alarm failed have bothered to report the failure to the installer of DIY equipment. In the trauma of losing possesions and having their home ransacked they may easily feel the alarm let them down and have written it off to be replaced with a more reliable system.

Its all there on my website and with the advice given upon installation.
Can you provide the URL for your website ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back