Problems after fitting socket convertor.

Sponsored Links
Careful, 'the man' will know you've been watching bake off!

If I ever find myself sat in front of a cookery programme and enjoying it, I promise to surrender to "the Man" voluntarily and demand to be waterboarded without delay.

So you don't mind, possibly, ending up on mailing lists, or phone calling lists, because they've sold your data. ... You don't mind, possibly, your conversations being made available to the whole world. ... You don't mind, possibly, personal data leaking out which could increase your chances of suffering identity theft. ... You don't mind, possibly, your medical history being easier to infer. ...
We (at least I) were talking specifically about collection of data relating to my TV viewing habits.

Kind Regards, John

I suggest that anybody who is scoffing, or is tempted to, subscribes to the Risks Digest, published by the ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy for a while.

Sponsored Links
So you don't mind, possibly, ending up on mailing lists, or phone calling lists, because they've sold your data. ... You don't mind, possibly, your conversations being made available to the whole world. ... You don't mind, possibly, personal data leaking out which could increase your chances of suffering identity theft. ... You don't mind, possibly, your medical history being easier to infer. ...
We (at least I) were talking specifically about collection of data relating to my TV viewing habits.

Kind Regards, John
So was I.

Your viewing habit data identifies your interests, so your details are of interest to people selling things you're interested in.

Samsung TVs with voice recognition can, and have, sent everything they can "hear", over the internet, unencrypted.

If you watch a TV programme about, or touching on a medical condition, and there are adverts for related products or services or helplines, and you then use the browser in the TV to follow those up, that's more data about you which can leak out.

So was I. Your viewing habit data identifies your interests, so your details are of interest to people selling things you're interested in.
Indeed, but that has become an unavoidable fact of modern life. Browsers and Google etc. are doing it so much to me already that a bit more from the TV would make no significant difference. Of course, targeted advertising has existed since the year dot - modern technology has just made it a lot easier, more sophisticated and (from the viewpoint of the advertisers) 'better'.
Samsung TVs with voice recognition can, and have, sent everything they can "hear", over the internet, unencrypted.
As I said, I was talking specifically about collection of data relating to my TV viewing habits.
If you watch a TV programme about, or touching on a medical condition, and there are adverts for related products or services or helplines, and you then use the browser in the TV to follow those up, that's more data about you which can leak out.
Goodness knows, then, what it is going to think about someone who has a professional (or other) interest in things medical and therefore probably views very many medically-related TV programmes and visits a vast number of medically-related websites, covering a good sample of all medical conditions under the sun :)

Kind Regards, John

I would rather see targeted advertising than random s**t I couldn't give two hoots about.
I often see TLC adverts when browsing the web, am I offended that google know what websites I browse and where I shop? No. Do I sign in to Google/YouTube etc? Yes.
Am I remotely interesting enough or well off enough for my 'private' data to be of value to anyone? No.

Indeed. Unless you immediately delete cookies after browsing, you are likely to get all manner of targeted adverts on any website you happen to use afterwards. On this one, for example.

There's nothing sinister about that, its just a feature of modern, internet based life and I see little point in getting aerated about it. Although if you are, there's always the option of pen, bits of paper and a telephone.

Am I remotely interesting enough or well off enough for my 'private' data to be of value to anyone? No.
In a way, I almost wish you'd wake up one day to find that you were penniless, in huge debt, and with a lot of questions to answer about various crimes you appeared to have committed.

But then I think no - I should perhaps be pleased that people like you and amfisted are happy to be easy meat.

In a way, I almost wish you'd wake up one day to find that you were penniless, in huge debt, and with a lot of questions to answer about various crimes you appeared to have committed
My credit rating is so poor that anyone wishing to steal my identity would be very sorely disappointed.

That's not to say that my wifi is unencrypted and I go around buying stuff online on unsecured networks. But then, the only people I know who have been subject to card fraud/identity theft have had it happen to them in brick and mortar shops, so it's swings and roundabouts

Generally speaking I don't delete my cookies because the adverts for things I've been looking at and either bought or forgotten about don't bother me, but I know how to do so should they start to become a nuisance. I've taken cognisance of the warnings about powerline adaptors and installed an Ethernet cable instead. I keep my anti virus up to date, I have a firewall and I regularly change my passwords.

In what way, BAS, does any of that make me "easy meat" for those legions of internet rapscallions that you keep telling us about?

Generally speaking I don't delete my cookies because the adverts for things I've been looking at and either bought or forgotten about don't bother me, but I know how to do so should they start to become a nuisance. I've taken cognisance of the warnings about powerline adaptors and installed an Ethernet cable instead. I keep my anti virus up to date, I have a firewall and I regularly change my passwords. ... In what way, BAS, does any of that make me "easy meat" for those legions of internet rapscallions that you keep telling us about?
... and don't forget that some of the nastiest of 'scams' are still perpetrated by telephone - a century+ old technology - or 'on the doorstep'.

Kind Regards, John

True enough. The most recent one that I've heard of is entirely conducted by phone...the one where they stay on the line after the first scam call and when you ring your bank at their suggestion, they pretend to be your bank's security department, who naturally confirm that the first call was genuine. They then send a "courier" to pick up your card along with the PIN because its been "compromised".

True enough. The most recent one that I've heard of is entirely conducted by phone...the one where they stay on the line after the first scam call and when you ring your bank at their suggestion, they pretend to be your bank's security department, who naturally confirm that the first call was genuine. They then send a "courier" to pick up your card along with the PIN because its been "compromised".
Indeed. The police in our area are constantly warning people about that one.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back