Problems after fitting socket convertor.

Sponsored Links
The powerline adaptors wouldn't be required if I was able to position the box close to the router, but with the socket situation as it currently is, that can't be done. The wireless network is password protected and whilst I'm not naïve enough to think that its impossible to hack it, the signal is barely strong enough to facilitate trouble free browsing in the lounge, let alone enable any nefarious piggybacking by the folks in the bungalow next door.
Your wifi signal might not be.

But the traffic on your electrical wiring is not wireless.

As it happens, we intend to use the internet function of the TV service but rarely.
Have you read about the "spying" they do via that?

No, not read anything about folks spying on hardwired internet traffic. Really, you'd think they had better things to do.

I've ordered a 10m CAT 5e cable from Ebay. I did it before reading about the CCA marking, but it only cost coppers so if its no good, it can go in the bin instead of my socket converter.

CCA is just copper clad aluminium. Over that length you might be ok. For the amount of copper in CAT5/6 I don't understand why it's done, it must save them a few pence per meter I guess

Sponsored Links
CCA exists so people buy it, discover it is rubbish, then have to buy the proper stuff.
End result - manufacturer sells twice as much cable.

Or for people who insist on always buying the cheapest stuff they can find.

No, not read anything about folks spying on hardwired internet traffic.
That wasn't what I meant - I was talking about internet connected TVs. The PLT risk is that your traffic gets radiated not by your wireless router which even you can't pick up reliably, but by your electrical wiring.

Really, you'd think they had better things to do.
You might think the issue can be dismissed like that, but you will find that in reality companies like Sony, Samsung, LG etc are very interested in your viewing habits because that information has commercial value and they can monetise it.

Oh - and Samsung TVs send recordings of your voice over the internet unencrypted.

In all seriousness, I only ordered the internet connected TV because the package was cheaper with it than without it. But I will use it occasionally for catch up, if nothing else.

If they're interested in my viewing habits, then instead of employing expensive hackers they can send me a survey form and I'll happily fill it in.

Fine.

Why not put all your banking etc account details, user IDs, passwords, PINs, card security codes, NI number, and everything else you can think of about yourself online too. Save everyone a lot of bother.

You might think the issue can be dismissed like that, but you will find that in reality companies like Sony, Samsung, LG etc are very interested in your viewing habits because that information has commercial value and they can monetise it.
I may be missing something but, AFAICS, they could only "monetise" it at my expense with my knowledge and consent.

Kind Regards, John

You must be one of the very few people who actually reads the fine print in EULAs before ticking the "I agree" box.

You must be one of the very few people who actually reads the fine print in EULAs before ticking the "I agree" box.
No I don't, any more than anyone else. I didn't mean that sort of "consent". I meant that they could only cause me to spend money (to their advantage) if I consciously decided ("gave consent") to spend that money.

They might use the data they collect to, say, target me with particular advertising - but it's for me to decide whether I want to spend any money as a result of that advertising.

Kind Regards, John

By monetise I meant exploit for their financial gain. Which might not be getting you to buy, or even getting you to look adverts If the data they gather has value, they can sell it.

By monetise I meant exploit for their financial gain. Which might not be getting you to buy, or even getting you to look adverts If the data they gather has value, they can sell it.
I realise that. However, if they have a way of making money out of my data, without doing me any financial harm, then good luck to them. As I said/implied my only concern would be if they could make that money at my expense, without my having a say in the matter.

Kind Regards, John

So you don't mind, possibly, ending up on mailing lists, or phone calling lists, because they've sold your data.

You don't mind, possibly, your conversations being made available to the whole world.

You don't mind, possibly, personal data leaking out which could increase your chances of suffering identity theft.

You don't mind, possibly, your medical history being easier to infer.

I know I'm starting to sound like I have a fine collection of tinfoil hats, but believe it or not, companies who gather your data do not have your interests at heart, security breaches are rife, and a lackadaisical attitude to "spying" and privacy invasion is, IMO, unwise.

Fine.

Why not put all your banking etc account details, user IDs, passwords, PINs, card security codes, NI number, and everything else you can think of about yourself online too. Save everyone a lot of bother.

I'm no newcomer to the internet nor to internet security, and I've completely taken on board everything said to me on this thread about powerline whatsits, whether hyperbolised for effect or not.

I now have my Ethernet cable installed and the powerline doofers have been consigned to a bottom drawer. Its been very kind of you to go to such trouble to try to frighten the pants off me, but I think we'll be OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back