Problems setting Rayburn Royal oil conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any idea how to set up the heating control for my oil conversion Rayburn Royal. It was running fine until my oil tank ran dry. After it was re-lit it would not get up to temperature, so I was told to take out the well and give it a clean. This didn't help so a plumber came round and adjusted one of the two tiny screws that are located next to the main adjusting knob. He managed to get a large increase in the flame and then turned it back down to what seemed right. However, after he had gone, it went out. So in stepped me and I got it running again and although the flame looked good - a nice deep blue with vary little orange - the oven runs too hot, sitting between 250 and 300 degrees farenheight. It also uses a lot more oil than it used to.
So, I need to get it set up properly and rather than guess I would like to get it right, especially with the price of oil!
View media item 2562 View media item 2563

Sponsored Links
Go here and download the manual. Then you will have an idea what the replies mean. Also see here for loads of information.

Oilman,

Thanks. The first link you gave will, I think, contain the answer I need. I've printed off some instructions which seem to make sense but it also seems that I will have to turn it off again to set it up properly.

Thanks again :D

You need to make sure the oil flows at a high rate into the valve. This makes sure there is no blockage in the line. Then remove the burner and clean thorughly, including running a drill up the supply pipe that connects to the bottom of the burner.

When it's all working properly, turn it off if you hadn't realised it will cost you more than £30 a week to run. :eek:

The flow rate figures are a guide only, once you have it running, it should be adjusted when hot so the flame looks right.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Oilman.

We have it running all year - not much fun in summer but it's are main way of cooking and it does the hot water. It wasn't running too bad at just under 2 full fills of the tank a year which was equating to about £1000 (£20 per week). However, I realized after the problems detailed in my post that a full fill was lasting between 3 and 4 months :eek:
Well over the £30 a week you mentioned!
With regard to the two adjusting screws I mentioned. Well I have removed the top cover and alongside the one at the higher end of the control knob there are arrows going clockwise around it with the legend 'high fire decrease'.
The other screw has 'A', 'B' and 'C' at equidistant points around it and I can see that when the control knob is at '1' this screw acts on the lever that controls the flow (similar to a tick-over screw). This is the problem as at this position the oven has been hitting 400 degrees fahrenheit when it used to be at least half that :oops:
I have adjusted this one so that the flame has lessened to such a degree that it is only just visible and the steel baffles no longer glow red I will see how this goes.
View media item 2583 View media item 2584 View media item 2585

You ought to measure the flow as setting it too low will cause a lot of sooting, and you will use oil to no useful benefit. Time it over 2 or 3 minutes, and wait several minutes between adjustments.

I know it's a bit cooler for you up north, but I would have, (as we do), a tiny electric cooker for the summer and turn off the gas guzzler.

You ought to measure the flow as setting it too low will cause a lot of sooting, and you will use oil to no useful benefit. Time it over 2 or 3 minutes, and wait several minutes between adjustments.

I know it's a bit cooler for you up north, but I would have, (as we do), a tiny electric cooker for the summer and turn off the gas guzzler.

Oilman,

That would explain why when I came to light it, after having turned it off a few days earlier to conserve what was left of the oil until the delivery came, that it was totally soot free.

Yes, you are right about turning it off during the summer months. It makes sense, I know. We just get used to having hot water and a hot oven whenever we need it but the recent money I've lost on oil we could have recouped by installing a timer for the emersion heater and one of those work top ovens :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back