Rayburn 600k not firing when hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We installed a second hand Rayburn 600k a couple of years ago - yes, I'm afraid it was a bit of a lifestyle statement but SWMBO wanted one, so there it is.

Anyway, a while ago it started misbehaving: it would fire up OK, but once up to temperature, it would switch off - as it should - but on restarting the fan would run for about 10 seconds, the burner would fire up for another 4 or 5 seconds and would then shut down. The reset button would the give the . - - - - signal for 'no flame establishment'. (...but there was a flame?)

Pressing the reset button occasionally gets it to start up properly again, but more often than not, we just end up with a smell of oil

I have replaced the photocell and nozzle with no effect. The burner itself seems to get very sooty and a good clean allows it to run properly for a day or two and then it's back to its old tricks. If it gets very sooty, is the mixture wrong? On a gas flame, I would probably have a go at adjusting for a blue flame, but that's not the case for an oil burner is it? Can the flame be adjusted by eye even, or do I need a gas analyser?

Anyone come across this one before or have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
You need a gas analyser to adjust these correctly. They should not produce soot in any significant quantity. It'll want a thorough clean and service, and possibly a new solenoid. Are you certain you purchased the correct replacement photocell?

Just wondering when the oil pressure was last tested....although these aren't the cleanest running appliances it shouldn't be as dirty as this, and things may be affecting the photocell.
As Andrew says, adjustment by eye isn't possible, and a flue gas analysis needs to be done.
John :)

Sponsored Links
If you have been cleaning the burner from soot, and ignoring the flue, you may have a flue blockage that prevents the burner from breathing. An oil burner will only take in as much air as it can expel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back