Problems with hot water overflow on combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a small radiator and towel rail fitted upstairs. Both are staying cold at the top. I have bled all the radiators but still not working. The hot water is overflowing at the combi boiler

I have contact the plumber who fitted them, he says the seal has gone due to emptying and refilling boiler. Is this normal/true and if so can I fix it myself?

Please help - desperate for the heating to come on.

Sponsored Links
The hot water is overflowing at the combi boiler

I'm thinking its the PRV that they are talking about Bahco.

sunnydayz50, this 'hot water overflow' you mention, is it a Copper Pipe outside the house (probably bent downwards) that is leaking water?

Sponsored Links
Hi All, just came on line thanks for your replies.

Dave, what is a prv?

and yes it is a copper pipe outside the house which is bent downwards I will have to check the pressure and reply back later.

:cry:

Hi Dave

I just found out what the prv is (pressure reducing valve) I will go home and check it now to see if I can find it.

Hi Blasphemous

Yes it is a copper pipe outside bent downwards leaking water.

Dave
Why should the prv not be touched?

Its a safety valve not a drain off valve. If you open it they often won't reseal.

Hi Gasguru

Thanks for your reply.

If it has been opened how can I reseal it? as I don't trust the plumber anymore. He has left me in such a mess, with leaking water in the bathroom and the boiler

:cry:

No, it has to be replaced, quite an easy job usually and they don't cost the earth.

Sometimes raising the boiler pressure to say 2 bar and fully rotating the valve head a few times to bring the pressure back down to 1 bar will be enough to flush out valve and seal it. Some prv's you need to lift a little lever.

Otherwise it will need to be cleaned out or replaced

What boiler make and model?

As for the rad and rail not heating up see the faq's on balancing.

Hope you didn't pay the cowboy.

Hi all

Yes unfortunately I did pay the cowboy, you know how it goes, they do the work and won't leave until they've got the reddies.

Anyhow, the boiler is a valient but not sure what the model, I will look up the leaflet tomorrow and try and find some information, as it's quite dark where the boiler is under the stairs. I will get back to you n chat tomorrow with more information.

Many thanks for your help and adivce.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back