Problems with my S plan Heating system - Microbore pipes etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I have recently decided to upgrade my non thermostatically controlled, single zone microbore oil fired central heating system to S plan.

I have carried out the follwing work

Placed motorised valve at flow from boiler (28mm myson)

Disconnected old flow and return from Hot water cylinder and capped off with stop ends.

Installed new 22mm flow and return pipes. (mix of hepworth plastic and copper)

Fitted ATC cylinder stat

Fitted 22mm Danfoss valve to Hotwater supply into cylinder

Fitted Danfoss FP715si timeclock and wiring centre.

Fitted Towerstat RSP digital room stat

Fitted new Towel Rail radiator to upstairs bathroom

Fitted new Small convector radiator downstairs.

The problem that I am having is that even with constant venting of the upstairs radiators (4 in total) I cannot get all the air out of upstairs and I only get heat 1/3 of the way up the rads.

Downstairs is piping hot. Even the new rads.

I have tried setting the room stat to 35 degrees and turning off the downstairs rads to get the water flowing well upstairs but to no avail.

Have I done anything wrong?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

P.s. I have 5 radiators downstairs, 4 radiators upstairs, a danfoss s plan pack (with substitute myson valve in place of one of the danfoss), a pump and a warmflow boiler.

Alan

Sponsored Links
I paid a plumber to do that job!!!

The microbore heating was already in place. I just made those mods to it.

tell me what is so wrong with what I did?

I do want to know

Sponsored Links
I was hoping that someone could have been helpful / constructive with their comments.

Yours just make me fell worse.

I want to know what I did wrong.

It was not a DIY job. It was a plumber did it, and he has 14 years experience working for a large mechanical services firm.

Please tell me what it is that is wrong rather than telling me you enjoy laughing at me.

Thanks

No. I paid the plumber to do those jobs.

I helped him to install those items as per his instructions.

due to him being wrong, I would now like some help / advice in sorting these problems, so as the next person I pay will not make a mess.

Seems fair to look for that advice?

No?

Moderator 3,

My posts were not abusive or unhelpful in any way! I pointed the OP in the correct direction by telling him to use a professional.

You and your forum are highly dangerous. plumbing, heating and electrical works are not for the DIY or untrained, you would do well to remember that.

If anything is going to get someone or indviduals hurt, it is sites like this where the untrained and inexperienced come to ask silly questions about matters they are not qualified in.

Next time, read what I have said before wading in and deleting my posts, he the OP is out of his depth and SHOULD get a professional in immediately before something goes wrong.

I sincerly hope one day that something does go wrong, brought about by actions acted upon by an untrained idiot following instruction from a site just like this and you get royally sued.

This won't happen as you will no doubt have a clause/small print burried somewhere.

Us real professionals do care that only appropriately trained and experienced operatives do certain works, YOU on the other hand only want to drag people to this site where upon you can make money form advertising whilst, encouraging people to take on jobs they shouldn't be doing and at the same time doing small local traders out of potential work.

You have no morals so don't get on your high horse!

I think it i you that does not get the point here.

I AM a trained technician (not in plumbing may I add), and I have had my trained plumbing friend do this job for me. Maybe he or I don't understand this job, that is indeed true.

Similarly, paying a professional to do a job is obviously the best thing to do.

Question I am asking is this.

What do you do when the professional is stumped?

Thats the situation that I am in, and it is understandable for me to ask if something has been done wrong or not.

I really don't see why you would not want to help someone.

If someone asked me a question about matters which I am trained in then I would offer them advice to the best of my ability or stay quiet and say nothing at all.

This forum or indeed the many others I have used are for people who operate in the frame of mind that I mentioned above. Not for unhelpful malicious comments and suggestions of how to electricute yourself via the wiring centre.

Am I right?

I think I am

If someone asked me

need more details on the pipework alterations that have been made. Sounds like the cold feed/open vent configuration is wrong and sucking in air.
Changing from a gravity hot water to fully pumped system is not as straight forward as it seems.
your first post intimates that you done the work, then you say a plumber done it, and then it's you and your plumber/friend. Whichever it was I think, did a poor job.
Maybe some photos of the pump, valves and pipes around the cylinder would help.

Just to check, you have some hot radiators and some cold ones, but even when you turn off all the hot ones, the cold ones do not heat up?

When you say you can't get all the air out, do you mean there is no water pressure to push it out, or do you mean you vent it but it then fills up with air again?

Is it a vented system with a feed and expansion tank in the loft?

Did you drain it down and refill it?

Have you got a bypass somewhere?

Is the hot water cylinder getting surprisingly hot?

Hi Mick.

It was always a fully pumped system. It is just that it used to not have the flow and return going directly to the cylinder. It had them passing through radiators before reaching the cylinder.

Now I have a new flow and return to the cylinder and have connected the old flow and return in as if they were the radiator circuit.

(see s plan diagram. My old pipework is the part that comes out of the radiator zone valve)

If you could send me your email address or something, and if you are willing to help then I could send you better explanation / photo.

Alan

John,

It is a vented system with expansion tank in the loft

I did drain it down and refill it.

There is no bypass valve

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back