Probs with Zone Alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone having any problems with Zone Alarm? It's suddenly stopped me from accessing anything on the web. I shut it down and normal service was resumed but in reinstating it web access is blocked. I have the free version installed earlier this year in March (8.0.298.000).

Thanks for any help. ;)

Sponsored Links
Check that Windows Firewall is turned OFF in the Control Panel -> Security. If it is then it could be that your program is corrupted.

Try a fresh download from ZoneAlarm and save it to your desktop.
Do not install it yet.

Download Revo Uninstaller Free and install it.
Open Revo and click on the ZoneAlarm icon and click 'Uninstall' on the top toolbar.
When it has run, it will scan the registry for any leftover entries.
It will display them, tick only the ones in BOLD and click to delete them.
It will then check for any leftovers in Program files, if it lists any, click to select all and delete.

Then install the ZoneAlarm from your desktop, and check for updates.

Once you have installed it again, check that the Windows Firewall is turned OFF.

dave

Hi Dave

The revo uninstaller seemed to work OK but the subsequent steps to instal ZoneAlarm failed with this:

Installation failed
Downloaded file is not ZoneAlarm installation. :eek:
URL:’http://redirect.zonelabs.com/redirect/route?mode=18app=inclient&oem=1025&prod=0&lang=en&link_id=2’

A bit perplexing. Since switching off ZA (prior to its deletion) I have started using the Windows firewall. Could this cause said problem?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi Pip

Thanks for both of your posts. Re the 1st: Was aware of last year’s issue with ZA as a friend alerted me to this
article in the Guardian.
Regardless of this I remained unaffected, until now.

Re the 2nd: Tried them all and just keep getting Publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software? When I hit Run I get this: zaSetup_8D_298_000_en(1).exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Only thing a tad different that I did yesterday was when ZA continued to persist with flagging Avast updates I set each dialogue box to DENY whereas usually I OK the request. Maybe just a coincidence, though.

As long as ZA is switched off there is no prob so I might hunt around for a newer shinier firewall. Windows Firewall is now manning the ramparts. ;)

There are reports of such happenings on the Zonelabs forum ...
Not much feedback beyond Bad download - do not use download managers - etc... Use IE.n for the download?

Try disk clean-up to clear clutter and history / temp files which may be lurking.

Do you keep a copy of (successful) install prog(s)? A good thing, I have found.
Edit
I downloaded and installed the free ZA f/w no problems. So that works ok.

I seem to recall if denying a program - not good if you actually want the prog to access the web - I then needed to, in the firewall menu, go to <Program Control> <Programs> Allow the denied prog' - usually tick all access and server boxes for Anti Virus and the like. Then reboot.
When / if ZA asks for your approval / disapproval for a prog's web access - before ticking 'allow' - open the menu as above, find prog' and see what happens when you 'allow' and 'remember this' you should see at least two '?' change to green ticks in the menu...

BTW. The reason I dropped ZA Pro - the log files became very sparse (I reckon my Hub's internal firewall was coping with unwanted stuff)... Mind you, there may be more to my ISP than first meets the eye or wallet !

--

Back