Professional Damp Advice

Sponsored Links
You're right I didn't say that and I fully accept that given your understanding of the situation you were right, but then so was I, it was just a misunderstanding on both parts. It's implicit in the instruction that if it isn't possible to lower ground levels then the French drain can be used to compensate for this.

Incidently the point about the water being 6 inches below the surface was covered by this point:

4. If you have a high water table then consider installing a land drain to reduce the height of the water table. It may well be that after carrying out all other measures that this is not required.

Sponsored Links
I have dug a hole behind the house and the "water level" is only about 6" below ground level. As the concrete floor level is the same as the outside concrete level it doesn't seem surprising that there is a damp problem

In summary/for clarify drain spec (1st draft):

Trench typically 1 ft wide by 1ft deep (below ground level & 6” below observed water level) sitting in an “L” shaped dpm held against the wall by aggregate (10/20mm or pea gravel). drain to be installed around perimeter of house but must have an exit point (ideally several) to an area of lower ground to enable the collected water to escape from the trench.

The drain option being based on an observed water “level” not water “table” (otherwise all bets off as a pumped system would be required and probably not the best way forward). The observed water “level” being dependent upon rainfall and caused by the arrangement of the garden and concrete path around the house encouraging rain water to flow towards the house and sit against the walls.

Go, on, kiss him
love-smiley-061.gif
and stop arguing
37.gif

Can we agree that the house is sitting in the middle of a lake!
Albeit, that its 6 inches below the ground surface.
Nothing by way of digging will make the slightest difference to the water table.
As you dig, so the hole fills with water.
Thats not going anywhere.
The solution has to be above water level.

Ah, yes, but you still didn't say "back to (or no deeper than) the original level" though..... Harsh!

Far too many comedians on here, show a bit of humility and they take the p***!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back