PROFESSIONALS: which brand of boiler do you have in your home?

Which combi boiler brand do you have in YOUR home?

• Total voters
but not all but many manus doing anything they can to dodge warranty repairs , some even charging credit cards before agreeing to turn out, as an installer I want a manu that I have a good relationship with and if I need a warranty call it gets done , communicating with me and not putting the customer in the middle
This is where it's worth paying extra for that added value

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Only people registered on the GasSafe register are allowed in the Combustion Chamber. And besides why would I want to be in there....
it sounds like you know about the inner workings of heating control systems - you might find the CC interesting from a technical perspective

There's such a spread of opinion and a higher price is now introduced as a good sign. Just look or list for the characteristics you think are an advantage in a boiler and features you think could be avoided if possible. What one manufacturer promotes as an attribute is always countered by an alternative opinion.

Sponsored Links
Yes it's great. They'll work in pretty much any house provided the heat pump and heat emitters are sized correctly for the property. Heat pumps hate cycling and aren't efficient at high temperatures, so oversized ones heating tiny radiators will cost mega bucks to run. The old boiler approach of looking at the output of the existing boiler and using that to size the new one doesn't work, because most boilers are oversized and radiators undersized even for condensing boilers.

Yes, fitted mine myself, with the Green Homes Grant & RHI it should pay for itself in about 3-4 years I think, and still be cheaper to run going forwards than my old LPG Ideal Classic. Radiators all increased in size to run at 35°C flow temp, and that's where the issue potentially comes in with badly insulated properties, as you end up with enormous radiators to compensate. We've got cavity wall insulation and 250mm loft insulation, and for the most part I've just had to increase single panel rads to P+ or K2, and maybe make them a bit taller. Towel rails had to go, there's no way they'll work on heat pumps, but the only really big radiator I've got is a 2400×500 K2 in the living room bay window extension. That being said, it replaced a 2000×300 K2, there to compensate for the high heat loss of said bay window, and still sits under the windowsill so it doesn't look out of place.

Yes it's great. They'll work in pretty much any house provided the heat pump and heat emitters are sized correctly for the property. Heat pumps hate cycling and aren't efficient at high temperatures, so oversized ones heating tiny radiators will cost mega bucks to run. The old boiler approach of looking at the output of the existing boiler and using that to size the new one doesn't work, because most boilers are oversized and radiators undersized even for condensing boilers.

Yes, fitted mine myself, with the Green Homes Grant & RHI it should pay for itself in about 3-4 years I think, and still be cheaper to run going forwards than my old LPG Ideal Classic. Radiators all increased in size to run at 35°C flow temp, and that's where the issue potentially comes in with badly insulated properties, as you end up with enormous radiators to compensate. We've got cavity wall insulation and 250mm loft insulation, and for the most part I've just had to increase single panel rads to P+ or K2, and maybe make them a bit taller. Towel rails had to go, there's no way they'll work on heat pumps, but the only really big radiator I've got is a 2400×500 K2 in the living room bay window extension. That being said, it replaced a 2000×300 K2, there to compensate for the high heat loss of said bay window, and still sits under the windowsill so it doesn't look out of place.

Something done properly will work but if you were added to the NG grid would you have kept the older rads and put a natural gas boiler in, would you have needed a subsidy, RHI and chosen a heat pump? LPG is expensive. I think you know who Rob Whitney is, he's just removed his NG system and had a heat pump in as part of a funded trial, it's an interesting time to watch how things develop.

Sounds good.

Did you fo some trains and install yourself?

Something done properly will work but if you were added to the NG grid would you have kept the older rads and put a natural gas boiler in, would you have needed a subsidy, RHI and chosen a heat pump? LPG is expensive. I think you know who Rob Whitney is, he's just removed his NG system and had a heat pump in as part of a funded trial, it's an interesting time to watch how things develop.
I was intending to upgrade the rads anyway even if I'd put a new boiler in (did consider that), to size them for proper condensing, and the additional cost to upgrade to heat pump size rads was under £100 so nothing in the grand scheme of things. There's no chance of NG ever coming here so the best I'd have got is a more efficient LPG boiler but still getting the high LPG prices.

I've been watching Rob's project with interest. I do wonder whether there are too many experimental things going on on system to get any sensible results, but we'll see. There's also the issue that he really really hates even the suggestion that he might have got something wrong, so whether we actually get any feedback on any negative aspects remains to be seen.

I didn't realise that muggles, thank you.

Bit like deciding on a boiler or expensive product, investing in it then writing a review. If it's not done what you hoped writing a bad review is really saying I was suckered.

I've been wrong too many times for it to bother me much except if it's the same error twice.

How does it perform when heating the hot water? Presumably you need to have a large hot water cylinder, as I don't believe there is any heat pump solution for instantaneous dhw?

Also for the central heating I've read about the need for additional volume through a buffer tank but not sure if this is always required?

Last edited:
How does it perform when heating the hot water? Presumably you need to have a large hot water cylinder, as I don't believe there is any heat pump solution for instantaneous dhw?

Also for the central heating I've read about the need for additional volume through a buffer tank but not sure if this is always required?
Yes we've got a 300L cylinder (only actually needed 250 but the price difference was about £40). Uses more power heating the cylinder and needs to be disinfected once a week with the immersion heater topping up the temperature. We've got a 25L buffer

Yes we've got a 300L cylinder (only actually needed 250 but the price difference was about £40). Uses more power heating the cylinder and needs to be disinfected once a week with the immersion heater topping up the temperature. We've got a 25L buffer

Is the immersion set up on a 7day timer? How long do you have to run it to kill any bacteria? Just an hour?

It's controlled by the clever box of magic in the airing cupboard. Heats the cylinder up to 60 once a week. Getting hooked up to Octopus Agile soon so it'll heat when the electric is cheap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back