Programmable room stat and the correct location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I understand it, the room stat should be located within the coldest part of the house, normally the hallway.

However, am I right in saying, when installing room stats in multi storey flats which have small hallways and communal corridor’s, the room stat should be installed within the largest coldest room, normally the living room. Reason being the build -up of heat in the confined hallway will turn off the room statand the heating.

Are there any regulations under Part L that mention the correct location of room stats? And if so could some kind gent provide a link.

Sponsored Links
It's a long time since I did my energy efficiency course so I can't really remember if there were any reg's on it but in practice you can put it in the living room as long as there's no other form of heating in there & the rad shouldn't have a TRV fitted.
One thing to remember now is that there are a lot of wireless stats being fitted & some people carry the dam things around with them from room to room.

With internal hallways, they are rather well insulated by the rooms surrounding them, and in the case of flats, the dwellings above and below.

This means that once a thermostat in such a hallway has turned off the central heating, it will take a long time for the temperature in there to fall for it to come back on again. Meanwhile the other rooms with external walls and windows cool down and get chilly.

As Keego says, also to be avoided are rooms that have other sources of heat in them, which includes being exposed to a lot of sunlight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back