Project Management help needed please on a house extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to start a single rear extension and double story side extension project and I would like some advice.

I have got an architect but I would like to do some research of my own and not go into this completely clueless. Also I am managing the builder and I would like at least to know a little about the whole process.

Are there any good books out there that someone can recommend. There are quite a few on Amazon.

Also what type of contract should I be looking to get the builder to sign up to? I have heard that I should be able to get a template for this kind of thing.... The cost of the works will be around 75-100 thousand pounds.

Any advice welcome.

Regards, Scott.

Sponsored Links
With that sort of money involved I'd employ a good building surveyor to oversee the works. If it starts to go badly with the builder then he is an expert witness for when it goes legal. Not only that, the builder will be wary of the surveyor but will treat you like a Muppet.

for that sort of money you want to look at something along these lines

http://www.jctcontracts.com/JCT/pubdates.jsp#fid3

Its not often i agree with joe, however, do you really want to go into project managing a build when you know very little about it? Its not beyond you if you have the time and energy to deal with it, however employing a surveyor on a part time basis to oversee it for you may well be a better option, for what it costs. I dont want to sound negative, but if you are having to ask what contract and what books to read it may well be better not to go down that road.

Good luck whatever you do, there are plenty on here that will be able to offer advice.

joe-90 said:
With that sort of money involved I'd employ a good building surveyor to oversee the works. If it starts to go badly with the builder then he is an expert witness for when it goes legal. Not only that, the builder will be wary of the surveyor but will treat you like a Muppet.

Very true, most builders will at some point take the michael if they think you are getting your words out of a book.

75-100 grand gives you some scope, as joe 90 say's employ a good surveyor, he will probably give you a price for his time for the whole job, also he will keep your builder on his toes.

Don't take the risk of self project management on that sort of job.

Sponsored Links
You should look at some of the JCT contracts - either the Minor Works Contract, or there is a specific domestic work contract which contains the essentials, but is easier to understand. Alternatively the FMB (Federation of Master Builders) do a suitable cointract.

A basic contract agreement will include

Price
Start and End dates
What work is to be done for the price
Staged payments details.
Final payment
Any retention for possible faults in the 6/12 months following completion
Warranty details

In addition, as extra work is normal, a fee basis for charges for extras - hourly rate or agreed supplementary quotation. Also any dispute resolution procedure

Managing a typical domestic extension is not hard. In fact, there should be little management for you to do - get the builder to do it all and you just make sure he does what he should when he should.

Ask for a works programme, which will have the key dates and just ensure that as much as he is able to, that he keeps to it and things don't slip.

I would not bother to read up on project management, but instead read up on standards ( NHBC or such like) as then you wil know if the work is being done to a satisfactory standard (but don't expect perfect unless you are paying extra for better than normal work)

BTW, don't believe some of the posters here, and the TV programmes which imply that every builder is out to rip you off and does bad work. That is the exception not the norm.

Thanks for everyones advice.

My secret weapon in all this is my long suffering Dad who has been a builder all his life and a clerk of works in the last 15. I will use him as a help line and second set of eyes should I need to.

I am trying not to bother him too much though as the last thing he needs at 7pm after a days work is "Dad, these joists are at 400mm centres, is that right?? "
Also he lives 200 miles away so its not exactly easy for him to pop round.

:)

Anway. Thanks again. Ill be looking into the contracts stuff...

Your local building control officer will advise you if the work is up to regulation and are usually a fountain of knowledge and advice if you are out of your depth.
Pete

I'm assuming these builders will be following a detailed drawing, which will have been checked and approved by the local BCO?

In which case, it will be easy to see if (for example) the joists are not at the specified centres without having to ring dad up

Thats what I'm planning Woody!

I bought a couple of books from Amazon more to give me something to read over the Crimbo hols rather than something I expect will be fantastically usefull..But we will see.

Ta. Scott.

The danger is that if you start telling an experienced builder his job - then you'll fall out with him. He will then become completely unhelpful and the job will go sour on you.

There is more to good Project Management than just selecting the right contract... :D

You will also need to understand the project in terms of...

Schedule - what is being done when by who and ensure contractors know their timescales for completion. Also line up following trades with as much notice as possible...

Risk - You need to identify your riskiest part of the project and mitigate against this risk being realised. Also need to think about contingency.

Cost - assigning budgets/cost to elements of work incl. site set up costs, labour, contingency...

Labour - Right number of people to complete the job in the right timescale.

H&S regs - Ensure you know the regs surrounding no. of ops on site, provision of bogs, drying rooms if required...remember risk assessments/method statements, site induction records all that good stuff incase Mr H&S pitches up.

Insurances if required

Building Control - keep them at your hip. As mentioned they are source of invaluable info if needed also identify crucial stages where by you will need them to witness works - get them down and witness works over a brew.

Know your construction technology and engineering practices - if you aren't sure get it checked by someone who does...costs less that way if mistakes are made.

Keep close liasion with Architects and Structural Engineers.

Most importantly - keep good records of EVERYTHING, Photos included.

That's good text-book advice for the likes of the Olympic Village or Terminal 5, but for a domestic extension?

In this context, I would let the builder manage his bits, and the BCO manage his. Apart from the contractural stuff, purely in terms of the building process, all I would want to know is when things will be done by and when payment is due.

Use the resources available is the best management technique, and only get involved where/when you have to

Once posted, I re-read the OP and realised it was a domestic-extension :oops: ...apologies.

Still no harm in keeping good reacords.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

I agree that it could be quite easy to **** of a good builder by being too book-wise. Don't worry I know when to bite my lip.

I guess the real key here is getting a good builder and that is fully what I intend to do. That way I can put my feet up and just sign the sign the cheques ;)

Regs, Scott.

Scotster

For the money you'll be paying out get your architect to sort out a JCT minor works contract. If you find a builder dosen't want to use the contract then don't use the builder. Most good builders won't mind using a contract, it covers them as well, not that a contract will guarantee you a good builder.
I always use a JCT , I invoice the client every four weeks and it's checked by the architect before payment. If work is not right the payment will be held back. Let the architect look after the job, you'll be paying him plenty. Get him to recommend a builder, someone he's worked with before and talk to his previous clients.

My tips

Use a contract

Make sure the architects' fees cover a visit at least once a week

Check builders references

Don't pay any money up front

Don't keep telling the builder how to do his job

Don't keep making changes as the job goes along

If you're not happy with something point it out straight away

At the end of the job get the snagging done before the builder leaves

Pay the cheques on time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back