Projector Screen - Hang from Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I got a 120" projector screen that has fixed fixings at either end. The screen unit is nearly 3m long and I have a chimney breast that butts out about 3" but it is less than 2m in width so the screen fixings have a 3" gap when I put the screen flush against the breast.

The other option was the ceiling which is lath and plaster, but it has 2 columns coming from either side of the chimney breast 90 degress from the wall along the ceiling and they are around 5-6" deep.

I was thinking or putting hooks in the ceiling and maybe chains to drop then another hook to the screen fittings (it suggests using hooks in manual for ceiling mount).

The screen is 22kg and the ceiling lath and plaster. Are there hooks and chains that can support this into lath and plaster? As the fixing holes on the screen are at a fixed distance I doubt I would be lucky and hit joists and we have just had the ceiling decorated so I can't do anything to extreme.

Regards

Mark

Sponsored Links
chimnie is not in use i assume
is it an attic above or another room

You can't expect to hang 22kg of anything by directly screwing in to the lath & plaster. That type of ceiling is too fragile.

You're going to have to find the joists and span them with something to take the weight.

Sponsored Links
You can't expect to hang 22kg of anything by directly screwing in to the lath & plaster. That type of ceiling is too fragile.

You're going to have to find the joists and span them with something to take the weight.

Yeah, I ended up going to B&Q and got strong shelf brackets that will go on the concrete wall and I mount the thing on that with metal plugs/screws etc.

Thanks to all who replied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back