Proposed Changes: 18th Ed, Due July 2018

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Is it just me, or do other people wonder if this might be a good colour scheme for the cover?

gilded-lily.jpg

It'll follow convention:

Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, Brown.

Until Part P I don't think anyone was worried about what was in the wiring regulations, yes it was an easy way to write a contract, to follow BS7671 unless written permission is given to deviate was an easy way to write a contract, but it was not law, and you didn't have to follow it. However when Part P came in scheme members signed a legal document with the scheme providers to say the would follow the regulations.

In the 1970's one rarely saw a copy of the wiring regulations, the boss may have had one in the office, if you asked to look at it, you were quizzed as to why. It was early 90's before anyone seemed to worry about what was in it. With the 16th we saw colleges starting to run courses often with in house exams on how to read. When the 17th came out many electricians were dismayed to find their qualification did not allow them to sit the cut down version of the test, as it was college issued not C&G.

It was not only electrical qualifications which were affected, nearly every hire company would issue their own certificates on all sorts like driving a cherry picker, now they are all nationally controlled. Even the national controlled tests have changed, my motor cycle licence was obtained with one single test.

So today what is in the regulations controls our life, without them we would still be using the Wilex fuse box, it was the regulations which forced us to move to RCD protected metal consumer units. However when you start looking at statistics it is hard to write a risk assessment which would result in such a stringent set of regulations.

John Peckham on IET website said:
They are the long term stats. for deaths from 1950 to 2013 caused by electric shocks in the home.

They show a steady Climb from 1950 of about 38 deaths to 1972 of 70 deaths with another peak of about 73 deaths in 1963.

From 1972 there is a steady decline to 3 in 2013.

The decline is quite pronounced with a steady climb up to 1972 and a steady decline from that date.
Compare that to natural deaths by lighting and your more likely to be electrocuted out of the home than in it. I know one death is one too many, but we have gone OTT with all health and safety regulations to the point where people expect not to need to take care, they think if there was a danger it would not be allowed, the number of people who think they can't get a shock because it has a RCD is silly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back