Pros & Cons of Vaillant VRC700 controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had my CH system upgrade to include a VRC 700/4. Previously, I had a VRC 430 and quite liked it. Most of the pros and cons listed here are my thoughts on how it compares to the VRC 430.

Pros.
1. The VRC 700 has a heat curve for each zone, rather than one heat curve for all zones.
2. The menu system is much more intuitive, with a single rotating knob to change options and two buttons, which are context sensitive based on the information shown on the display.
3. It's possible to view a lot more information about the CH system on the controller.

Cons.
1. The VR 91's are designed to look identical to the VRC 700. This means they are much larger than the old VR 81 I had. I don't mind the look of the VRC 700, except that it is MUCH too deep i.e. it stands off the wall too far. I'm sure they could have designed it to have been a lot slimmer.
2. The VRC 700 only allows 2 different temperatures to be programmed; desired temp and setback temp (used outside the desired temp times). Whichever Vaillant employee decided on this should be sacked! This is a massive step backward from the VRC 430, which allowed three different temps to be programmed as well as the setback temp!
3. I hate the temperature override functionality, which applies for an arbitrary 6 hours or is made permanent. So, it's 22:00 and the house is a little cold and I therefore increase the temperature by a couple of degrees. This increase will apply for 6 hours unless I remember to cancel it. So I go to bed at 23:00, which is the end of the timed period and "normally" the system would revert to the setback temperature, but it doesn't because of the override. I'm woken at 02:00 in the morning by the boiler still maintaining the temperature I set at 22:00. This is just bad design!
The VRC 430 would revert to the next temperature setting, so at 23:00 it would end the current overridden temperature setting and revert to setback during the night. Perfect! Why did they change this?

I believe the version of the VRC 700 has moved on from V4, since mine was purchased. Anyone know what the current version is? Can the software be upgraded? If so, is it worthwhile upgrading i.e. are there some better features? I believe the crappy override feature has been "improved", but not sure how.

There are a LOT of settings on the VRC 700 and even now I am finding settings that should be changed eg. I noticed that when overriding the temperature on the VRC 700, it also overrode the other two UFH zones controlled by two VR 91's. Vaillant explained there's a setting to turn this off so the override of the VRC 700 only affects its zone. Why would you want it to do anything other than this? Surely, if you have a thermostat per zone, you want THAT thermostat to control THAT zone?

I would appreciate your thoughts/experiences and advice on using the VRC 700 controller. As things stand, I feel I have made an expensive mistake upgrading to this controller.

Sponsored Links
That is some first rate silliness on the VRC700 timer functionally, they should have just included it exactly as it was and you could toggle between legacy or new way.
Nearly all timers ive seen can do temperatures against each timeslot but then again how many times to people change temp other than when its on or off.
The override temp for 6h is odd though, they should have limited it to next time slot unless its in say party mode.

Will you revert back to the VRC430?

Ive been considering a VRC700f, ive got an older ecotec 418 and VR66 but using legacy timer and a timed roomstat.
Based on what you have said if I want the weather comp stuff and work as close to before as possible then get a VRC430/VR81 instead.

That is some first rate silliness on the VRC700 timer functionally, they should have just included it exactly as it was and you could toggle between legacy or new way.
Nearly all timers ive seen can do temperatures against each timeslot but then again how many times to people change temp other than when its on or off.
I used to use 3 temps on my old VRC 430, so now being restricted to only 2 temps means my system is not as economical in my opinion. So, any attempts Vaillant have made to "improve" the efficiency of the system through settings in the VRC 700 are wiped out by this silly restriction, which I can only assume has been included to make the "user interface" simpler.

I do think the new VRC 700 interface is much, much better than the VRC 430, but I still think they should have allowed programmable temperatures. Even my mother-in-laws 40 year old system can do this using a programmable thermostat I installed for her 30 years ago!

The override temp for 6h is odd though, they should have limited it to next time slot unless its in say party mode.

I agree, yet another big mistake by the Vaillant "Designers".

Will you revert back to the VRC430?

Ive been considering a VRC700f, ive got an older ecotec 418 and VR66 but using legacy timer and a timed roomstat.
Based on what you have said if I want the weather comp stuff and work as close to before as possible then get a VRC430/VR81 instead.

Unfortunately, because I had to upgrade the wiring centre from VR 61 to VR 71 to allow for three heating zones, due to adding a new bathroom UFH zone, I was forced to also upgrade the controllers to the VRC 700 and 2 X VR 91's at great expense. The old controllers aren't compatible with the VR 71 wiring centre, so I had no choice.

I've currently got the old VR 61, VRC 430 and VR 81 listed on eBay.

I guess their idea is that people maintain a constant temperature throughout the day. The whole ideas behind WC is to maintain the boiler at constant low level of firing, if you introduce multiple temp levels then its going up and down. Does not make sense going back though, I wonder if other new WC controllers are just as limiting.

Did you have WC with the VRC430?

Sponsored Links
I guess their idea is that people maintain a constant temperature throughout the day. The whole ideas behind WC is to maintain the boiler at constant low level of firing, if you introduce multiple temp levels then its going up and down. Does not make sense going back though, I wonder if other new WC controllers are just as limiting.

Did you have WC with the VRC430?
Yes and the WC sensor is at least one thing I didn't have to replace!

I was looking at the glow-worm products as they are same as vaillant group, found that they had a much newer controller and thought Vaillant may have it, then came across the VRC720 which was similar but seems they have brought in full timing control called "weekly planner", it can have 12 periods each with their own temps.
Override allows you to define hours for override etc etc.
Seems they really repaired all the issues.

The manual only talks about VR 92/70/71, so not sure if its compatible with VR65/66, I assume it is as it would be fairly basic.

ps. just looked at a seperate tech sheet and it says VR66 is supported as well

https://www.youtube.com/embed/kQfzuymmXjM

https://simulator.vaillant.com/vrc720/ec/#/setup

Last edited:
That's a good spot, I've just had a play with the VRC 720 simulator and it is clearly touch screen operated, with a "slider" and I assume you slide your finger up and down to move through options (on the simulator you click on the slider).

As well as the VRC 720, there's the VR 92 remote thermostat as well, which is the equivalent to the VR 91 that matches the VRC 700.

Not many places selling it at the moment, but it would appear the price is similar to the VRC 700. I actually bought my controllers early last year, although they were only fitted in November and I'm pretty sure the VRC 720 wasn't out then, otherwise Vaillant would have told me.

As you say, you can set different temperatures for each timeslot and the desired override time can be set from half an hour upwards, although I still don't see anything that causes it to revert to the next timeslot temp, but at least it is better than a fixed 6 hours override, which is just madness!

Having already spent a small fortune on the VRC 700 and 2 x VR 91's I won't be getting rid of these for some time, no matter how much they frustrate me!

As you say, you can set different temperatures for each timeslot and the desired override time can be set from half an hour upwards, although I still don't see anything that causes it to revert to the next timeslot temp, but at least it is better than a fixed 6 hours override, which is just madness!

True, but they seem to have removed the "permanent" option which is good. But main thing is being able to set different temps per timeslot.

I might end up getting the wireless model as I need to relocate my thermo from the large hallway to the living room.
I look at it as buying now and if I need to replace my old 418 boiler ide just put another 418 and all is good with the existing setup.

I might end up getting the wireless model as I need to relocate my thermo from the large hallway to the living room.
I always thought the thermostat should be placed in the coldest area, which is usually the hallway, to avoid the heating turning off before the cooler areas were heated up?

I always thought the thermostat should be placed in the coldest area, which is usually the hallway, to avoid the heating turning off before the cooler areas were heated up?
This highlights reason for multi-zone.
Problem is I live in a old 1910 house, the hallway is as long as the house (7m x 2.5m x 9m) and open to the highest point in the roof and skylight and huge front door. So it can become very misleading for the thermostat, my hallway can be cold but the living room toasty as you sit near to radiators etc. Other problem is the hallway only has ability to have one radiator due to available wall space and putting a Type22 would take away quite a space from the walkway as it has a type 10 at the moment due to age. Nothing is perfect in an old house.
Main thing is to try and get WC as this house is affected by sudden drops in temp then it lags a while until it brings temp back up.

I was looking at the glow-worm products as they are same as vaillant group, found that they had a much newer controller and thought Vaillant may have it, then came across the VRC720 which was similar but seems they have brought in full timing control called "weekly planner", it can have 12 periods each with their own temps.
Override allows you to define hours for override etc etc.
Seems they really repaired all the issues.

The manual only talks about VR 92/70/71, so not sure if its compatible with VR65/66, I assume it is as it would be fairly basic.

ps. just looked at a seperate tech sheet and it says VR66 is supported as well

https://www.youtube.com/embed/kQfzuymmXjM

https://simulator.vaillant.com/vrc720/ec/#/setup

Its not compatible with your VR66. Its only compatible with a new VR66/2 wiring center.

Its not compatible with your VR66. Its only compatible with a new VR66/2 wiring center.

Mine is, problem is the label only says VR66 (and manual) so it can be confusing for some. I bought a new after my post you saw previously.
Model: 0020135785

Are you sure you are not thinking VR65.

Ive checked the spec sheet and it shows allowed model number. (this was the VRT not VRC) but anyway it used to confirm part numbers

upload_2021-1-15_18-47-32.png

This is a cut from the VR66 manual, the front page just says VR66 but it all talks about the correct part number.
upload_2021-1-15_18-49-5.png

Last edited:
The part numbers haven't changed so will be the correct part number, but probably not the newer version. It needs the /2 label as shown in the sensohome picture you've posted. I'm not 100% sure there in circulation yet. It may work but its not the one its designed for so could have compatability issues.

3. I hate the temperature override functionality, which applies for an arbitrary 6 hours or is made permanent. So, it's 22:00 and the house is a little cold and I therefore increase the temperature by a couple of degrees. This increase will apply for 6 hours unless I remember to cancel it. So I go to bed at 23:00, which is the end of the timed period and "normally" the system would revert to the setback temperature, but it doesn't because of the override. I'm woken at 02:00 in the morning by the boiler still maintaining the temperature I set at 22:00. This is just bad design!
The VRC 430 would revert to the next temperature setting, so at 23:00 it would end the current overridden temperature setting and revert to setback during the night. Perfect! Why did they change this?

My 700F seems to hold an over-ride temperature until it changes to the next time. However, even if I don't press the OK to store it as a permanent new temperature - it sometimes does seem to store anyway. It seems to think I have upped the temperature a couple of degrees, so best make it permanent - what?

Another annoyance is that some data, the time and date is stored in the 700F, some in the boiler interface unit. The manual hint that it can get its time and date from radio time - it cannot in the UK version. If the boiler is powered down for a service, time date and on/off times need to be reset.

The depth of the 700 from the wall, is probably because the 700F needs 4x AA's for power and they have used the same plastic case.

Good points - it controls my system really well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back