Protecting Cables Outside Safe Zones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have two outdoor lights that I am planning to fit at the rear of my house. Unfortunately the wiring is becoming troublesome, Originally I was planning on running these cables within the cavity, unfortunately I can't get access to the cavity within the loft so this is out of the question. Given this limitation I was planning on drilling right through both layers and running the cable up and into the loft internally, this poses another problem, these cables will be outside of safe zones (unless a safe zone is created in a doorway? See attached picture).

Now from what I've gathered some think that steel capping can be earthed and used as protection outside of safe zones, others think that steel conduit should be used. In my situation what is the best solution, given that the bricks are incredibly hard in this house and providing additional depth for the steel conduit will be troublesome. Is it acceptable to use earthed steel capping in this situation and if so what method should be used to earth it?

Any alternative suggestions are welcome and of course any advisement appreciated.

Legend:
Red - Cable from opposite wall
Green - Questionable safe zones

Sponsored Links
No, metal capping doesn't constitute a safe zone even if it was earthed.
You can make it a safe zone, how about placing a switch for it there?

Unfortunately I've already thought of that and that's why the second light isn't illustrated, the switch will be providing a safe zone for the other cable run.

Sponsored Links
Not to criticize but that solution is less than ideal speaking from a purely aesthetic point of view, although it would satisfy the regulations I'm not really prepared to sacrifice the look of the final product.

Unfortunately I think MICC would be too big to fit into the light fitting, although I haven't worked with it personally so I may be wrong. I haven't come across ali-tube in my research, could you give me a retailer that sells it so I could take a look?

1.5mm 2C MICC isn't that big, however it does require proper tools to terminate it.
I'd expect wholesalers to be able to get their hands on the ali-tube cable, I think it comes under the trade name "flex shield"

Thanks for your suggestions Spark123, I've decided to put another socket in the ring final below creating a safety zone for the outside light cable instead, based on your suggestion of another switch or blank plate.

I don't think that is a good solution.

When you see a socket near where you want to drill, the sensible thing is to look behind it and see where the cables go. If your socket is nothing to do with the lighting cable, it will not give that clue.

I don't think that is a good solution.

When you see a socket near where you want to drill, the sensible thing is to look behind it and see where the cables go. If your socket is nothing to do with the lighting cable, it will not give that clue.

Not ideal, but compliant and aesthetically pleasing. I'd be happy to do it on the proviso that both cables run upwards in the same direction.

If the socket cables are coming down with the light cable I don't see an issue

Unfortunately no, the ring final is served from under the floor. However, given that the regulations don't state that cables must belong to that accessory and that the safe zones extend horizontally and vertically from the accessory then it is compliant as electronicsuk states, I can't be held responsible for someones assumption.

However if it pleases you all, I will be attaching a label to the inside of the socket stating that cables run above the socket. I believe this will satisfy the regulatory standards and resolve any ambiguity. I will also be using metal capping, although some people seem to say that it provides no mechanical protection I believe it's more prone to alert someone using a masonry drill bit, although this isn't a requirement I feel it's a little safer than using plastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back