Protecting old unsafe glass door pane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My friend has a door with a large glass panel in the bottom. The glass is single pane and old and she has a young child who tears about. I am worried he might smash the glass and it will splinter into large dangerous pieces.

Someone I know mentioned a plastic coating that you can apply to the glass which sticks to it and if the glass breaks, holds the pieces in. Has anyone seen or heard of such a thing?

Sponsored Links
Has the same problem a few years ago with our glass front record cabinet and Mothercare did sell them, don't know if they still do now. Spray water onto glass then the clear film, then squeeze the air bubble out. Might be a idea to change the old glass to laminated.

Tell your friend to warn her child in no uncertain terms that if he runs near that door, he'll get either a spanked arse, or sent to bed with no supper.

Sponsored Links
Mothercare do still sell this stuff as we have done our french doors to protect out little darling.

The technique I used to fit it was to get the wife to do it.

I had to do the same thing on a glass partition and managed to get a roll of film (at a much cheaper price than mothercare!). It's easy to fit and can be done so you can't see it but it does take a little bit of messing about.

1/ Cut the film to the correct size (Slightly smaller than the glass).
2/ Clean the glass and frame with soapy water then dry with a cloth.
3/ Clean the glass with Methylated spirits (should dry quite quickly).
4/ Ensure the glass is free of all fluff/hair/paint as this will show up like you wouldn't believe!
5/ Spray with clean weak soapy water then remove the backing from the film and place onto the glass.
6/ Get the film into the correct place and then use a squeegee (or however you spell it) and work from side to side starting at the top.

This way you shouldn't be able to see the film once it's on and you'll feel a lot better knowing it's there.
btw, What size of film were you looking for? I might have a piece leftover that is big enough.

FK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back