Proximity tester gremlin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a dead socket, but if I flick my proximity pen against the cables that feed it I can OCCASIONALLY get it to flicker.

It's freaky.

Sponsored Links
I've a dead socket, but if I flick my proximity pen against the cables that feed it I can OCCASIONALLY get it to flicker.

It's freaky.
If you rub it on your sweater sleeve it will flicker like a disco light. Don't worry ,your sweater isn't live !!!

Sponsored Links
My non contact voltage tester (NCV) Testing for live.jpg seems to do a reasonable job, it can also measure current with non contact, and one of these
cat.jpg
work very well, seems to detect cables buried over 3 foot deep, there are a whole range of non contact tester, each designed for a different job, but the simple reed switch is well known for detecting even static, with the one I use it has four levels with buzzer and visual display, shown with all four bars showing, it can still mislead, but less likely to.

I think most assume you are talking about one of these, 1683218912373.pngthey are to my mind rather expensive, £25 when mine was £35 seems wrong, for £10 extra I get 4 levels, AC and DC current down to 0.001 amp, digital display, also measures with wired connection ohms and AC and DC volts. Some variants also measure frequency. Plus a hold feature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back