PRV Leaking on Megaflo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have MEGAFLO unvented hot water cylinder and I realised that when the vater is heated there is a small leak from either the temperature and PRV installed on the cylinder or the PRV on the inlet pipe. Unfortunately I don't know which one is leaking because they come to the same drain pipe.

Is that leak a serious problem or can it be something that I can ignore?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can't be ignored and very easy to cure.

Turn the mains water supply off and drain the cylinder as per the book.

refill and problem is cured.

All Unvented cylinders should have an annual check for safety

Well it's an offence under the water regulations because you're WASTING WATER so pay someone like me lots of money to fix it. I can't really think of a better reason though. It might even get better by itself, but that might be due to scale building on the surfaces, so I suppose it could stick.

If you turn the valves the "right" way, they'll open, then clunk shut. Try doing that a ferw times to see if there's any improvement.

Youre supposed to have unvented cylinders "serviced" once a year. Most of that is to check the valves!

Thansk gents for the quick responses. I'll try your recommendations and will let you know the result.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
Youre supposed to have unvented cylinders "serviced" once a year. Most of that is to check the valves!

hmmm can you imagine if people actually did?, drain down, check sacrificial anode, remove and check immersion, clean filter, hope valves hold on a refill etc, etc..sometimes this servicing thing can go too far

Sorry I missed
"when the water is heated "
I was thinking it was doing it all the time. Dia's right - perform the operation described on the side of the cylinder and it'll stop leaking.

It's 'cos the Megaflow should have an air bubble above the water. When it disappears, there is no expansion space so the PRV opens. Following the instructions regenerates the air bubble.

pro said:
Bubble thing stops prv from leaking ,?

Check the ovious -hot water temperature to hot ?

Scale inside the unit ? (is there a good water flow)?

prv could be doing what it,s desighed to do * release preasure ffs

call a corgi man * £75 pr half hr

or bg £ 350 pr yr no guarantee of time arrival

Ummm yes bubble thing = internal expansion......what are the prices for??

pro said:
Bubble thing stops prv from leaking ,?

Check the ovious -hot water temperature to hot ?

Scale inside the unit ? (is there a good water flow)?

prv could be doing what it,s desighed to do * release preasure ffs

call a corgi man * £75 pr half hr

or bg £ 350 pr yr no guarantee of time arrival

As you obviously haven't an unvented ticket pro, perhaps you would be better sticking to what you know best ?

unvented ticket ?

Curios to know why the bubble theory would be only reason for the prv to leak , .after the WATER HAS BEEN HEATED

If the water leakage was present at all times , maybe your bubble theory would be correct *

Do it all i guess back hanging wall paper for you !!!!!!!

since were on this subject and q's are getting answered I have 2

1: why does the air bubble disappear........goes into solution :?:

2: when the cylinder is drained why does it not collapse due to the force of the external air pressure (like copper would do with the vent & feed pipes blocked)..........let me guess you have to leave the hot tap open :?: .

3: Pro<----- gotta be a wind up...............no one gets that far behind the rest of the class.........not even me:cool:

brumylad said:
since were on this subject and q's are getting answered I have 2

1: why does the air bubble disappear........goes into solution :?:

2: when the cylinder is drained why does it not collapse due to the force of the external air pressure (like copper would do with the vent & feed pipes blocked)..........let me guess you have to leave the hot tap open :?: .

3: Pro<----- gotta be a wind up...............no one gets that far behind the rest of the class.........not even me:cool:[/q

I GOT PASSED THE LEARNING HOW TOO COUNT BRUMMY BOY I GUESS YOU DID,T

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back