Pull cord dimmer switch - Load/supply help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pull cord dimmer I'm about to install but I'm not familier with the markings on the terminals.

On the pull unit it is has four terminals marked as follows:

2847848661_20beba9b2c.jpg

I have a 3 wires to feed this light pull, one red, one black and an earth. Obviously I know where the earth wire goes but what about the other two?

Thanks very much for any help with this!

Sponsored Links
It doesn't look as if you'll be able to use it. Your existing arrangement has live, switched live and earth wires. The new dimmer requires live feed, switched live (load), and apparently a neutral feed and load as well. The instructions will state whether or not the neutral is actually a requirement, but I can't imagine the manufacturer would include it if it wasn't necessary.

If you can confirm the a neutral connection is necessary, you will need to run another length of twin + earth back to the ceiling rose/light fitting (or whatever arrangement you have) in addition to the existing one, and move the wiring round a little. No point going into this any further until you can check the instructions to confirm my suspicions.

It doesn't look as if you'll be able to use it. Your existing arrangement has live, switched live and earth wires. The new dimmer requires live feed, switched live (load), and apparently a neutral feed and load as well. The instructions will state whether or not the neutral is actually a requirement, but I can't imagine the manufacturer would include it if it wasn't necessary.

If you can confirm the a neutral connection is necessary, you will need to run another length of twin + earth back to the ceiling rose/light fitting (or whatever arrangement you have) in addition to the existing one, and move the wiring round a little. No point going into this any further until you can check the instructions to confirm my suspicions.

Thanks for your help, here's the instructions:
2848010489_ff3a5be878_b.jpg

Red to L IN , Black to other terminal out. Ignore the neutral connections they are for termination purposes only and not necessary for operation.

Sponsored Links
I see your point, the instructions do not mention the 'N' terminals at all. However, they do say the unit is compatible with extractor fans, so perhaps these terminals are actually provided purely as an on/off switch for that purpose.

Try the red cable to L-in, black to L out (the terminal marked by a wavy line with an arrow through it) and earth to the earth terminal. Worst case scenario it wont work, but do let us know how you get on.

Red to L IN , Black to other terminal out. Ignore the neutral connections they are for termination purposes only and not necessary for operation.
Forgive my stupidity, but which is 'the other terminal out'? Is it the terminal with the squiggle with an arrow through it?

I know this is an old thread but it keeps cropping up on searches for dimmers with undimmed outputs.

If that's you, try searching for "switched live" instead of "undimmed". I found some useful pages that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back