Pull cord switches: unreliable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have more than my fair share in my house (for reasons too tedious to go into). They seem to be constantly going wrong; I have had to replace another one today.

As I'm able, I'm replacing them with wall or architrave switches where that's appropriate. But is my woeful experience of them unusual?

I have now acquired a small backup stock of Contactum switches, and used one of those today. Are these any good; can anyone suggest a make that works year in and year out?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yep get MK, they can be a bit noisy but apart from that i've found them to be a fit and forget switch. The oldest one i've replaced must be coming up to about 8 years old now.

Aww is that all? :LOL:

I've seen plenty of MK pull switches still working at 30+ years. :)

Well yeh thats the oldest i know of the modern style but i agree its still a baby compared to the old MK ones i've replaced, still working perfectly after 30+ years service and its only downfall was it had yellowed with age. Ah well all good things come to an end i suppose :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back