Pulling old lead pipes replace with MDPE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
After a couple of leaks on my lead supply mains I currently have 2 holes open on my property, 1. at end of my supply and 1 on the corner of my house.

I have lead to plastic to lead to plastic (from a leak I presume before I moved in)back to lead and onto next house. (there is a new T junction here that comes into my house)

I am thinking it may be better to just replace the lead.
Now I know I may be able to get the supplier to do this but a. how long will that take, b. will they keep the lead and c. it may still cost me money.

My thought is that if i open another hole at the start of my supply, I have good access in a straight line.

How hard is it to pull old lead pipe through rather sodden ground?

I was thinking of running steel cable through it, and putting a wedge at the end and attaching new pipe, then with a pulley system pull the old lead out and same time pull new pipe in.

But like I say, just how hard is it to actually pull pipe through the ground?

Any ideas how much this would cost for a company to come in and do it for me?

cheers all

Sponsored Links
even with something like this?

98107.jpg

Won't work. Have you seen the kit they use to mole a new main in. It runs off a huge compressor. Do you think they'd bother with that if a small hand puller would do the trick?

Sponsored Links
Yeah but like yoi say thays to bore a new hole.
As I pull the old lead it will leave a hap for the new pipe to follow

YOU WILL NOT PULL THE LEAD THROUGH THE SOIL!!!

Either it will be moled or starting digging!

Andy

Okay then gents.
Don't tjonk i can be botjered to dig. may juat leave it aa it is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back