Pulsing gas

Try a hundred and fifty thousand gallon entering the gas network at approx seven bar.. Now that was interesting undone meter inlets and water going about twelve feet in the air. Cracking overtime for few weeks on that one.. And it took nearly a year to get it all out

Sponsored Links
so when there is a major ingress of water what are the potential implications for the various gas appliance recieving the water instead of gas?

kev

nice technical answer :D

you should be an NVQ tutor :D :D

Sponsored Links
Yeah but they where lovely and clean inside and out afterwards :LOL: :LOL: To be honest bster prob about two thousand appliances at least with water coming through them hobs, cookers, back boilers , combi`s, wall boilers, and every type of fire of every age and various manufacturers and not one needed changing . Some took quite a bit of stripping down to clear them but everything worked fine afterwards

bster

'fraid there are plenty of "installers" that can't connect up combi's.

Instructions are printed in English - some can't read English and some just can't read at all.

Went to a job on Friday the landlord was trying to work out how to re-presurise a CDi without the filling key.

Turned out more cheap useless Polish labour had added a new radiator. Cheap valves, soldered joints all black and cooked, leaks everywhere, no cleaner, inhibitor. Didin't have a clue about boilers.

If it wasn't for another ongoing job with the L.L I'd have left them to it.

so theres still room out there for one more potential gasman (me :D )?

There is only room for a competent gas man who can understand enough electronics to diagnose faults on modern boilers!

Example, last week I went to a boiler and the 100 ohm fusible resistor in series with the gas valve had blown!

Question was did I need to change the gas valve or not even though it tested OK?

I discovered that one of the diode bridge resistors fed by the 100 ohm resistor had failed short circuit so I did not need to change the gas valve.

If I made a wrong diagnosis I could have had to pay for a new £130 PCB.

Tony

Agile said:
There is only room for a competent gas man who can understand enough electronics to diagnose faults on modern boilers!

Example, last week I went to a boiler and the 100 ohm fusible resistor in series with the gas valve had blown!

Question was did I need to change the gas valve or not even though it tested OK?

I discovered that one of the diode bridge resistors fed by the 100 ohm resistor had failed short circuit so I did not need to change the gas valve.

If I made a wrong diagnosis I could have had to pay for a new £130 PCB.

Tony

Without insulting you Tony, but would'nt most people have passed that on to the Customer ? i know i'm open to attack.

Agile - you have the skills to diagnose the faults on the boards but surely you must be one of few or are there many?- how many of the regulars on here do you think would come up to your level of understanding of electronics (other than Raden)?

teach me!!!!!! how exactly do you test a gas valve - i was being laughed out of collage today because i was going through the parts bin and looking for gas valves to see if i could measure resistance across the coil to determine short circuiots etc ...no i diddnt have a clue what i was doin! :D but nor did anyone else :eek: .

Many do pass on the cost of their mistakes to the customer I am sorry to say!

However, I am pleased to say that two people who came to me for training and now work for Reactfast are both giving their customers the best advice and cheapest options and using honest charging policies.

If I were to make a mistake then I pay for the mistake myself. After all it is MY mistake not the customers!

Tony

bster said:
Agile - you have the skills to diagnose the faults on the boards but surely you must be one of few or are there many?- how many of the regulars on here do you think would come up to your level of understanding of electronics (other than Raden)?

Well Chris and Paul Barker for a start and perhaps Croyden Corgi and Gasguru! I met someone on my unvented course who had a PhD in Electrical Engineering! Raden does not count because he is not registered to work on gas appliances!

There are only two electrical tests necessary on a gas valve. First the winding resistance whose value is usually in the better MI. Second a resistance measurement from the winding to earth. As it operates at 350v to earth thats best done as an insulation measurement at 500 volts rather than as a low voltage test when insulation may not break down.

Simple really Bster! Dont take any notice of those others, they are destined to be the run of the mill! Carry on learning everything you possible can.

Tony

its water

the gas preassure pushes through then drops slightly hence the pulseing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back