Puma 80 problem - PLEASE HELP...

Hi Picasso,

Gas valve is very expensive, how certain are you it is the cause ?

I am not certain at all, as already said it could be just about anything, you need someone that knows what their doing, there is little point chucking more parts at it hoping you get it right.

Sponsored Links
I would be looking at the Heat exchanger as well. It might be an idea to take the temperature of the flow pipe at the point the pilot is dropping out, checking for continuity across the overheat sta at this point and perhaps performing a flue gas analysis up to this point , whilst watching your flame picture and pilot flame to determine if the pilots dropping out due to overheat or thermocouple dropping out.

Oh, ok. Your the expert.

Paul.

a continuity test is an easy operation with the aid of a multimeter.any decent boiler engineer would use a multimeter to establish certain causes.hence has the OH stat been checked when it does lock out.with the parts changed and the so called engineers, costs. it would proberbly been cheaper to have a boiler swap.

OK... So, which one of you gents is volunteering to fix my boiler then ???

I propose a "no fix - no fee" arrangement. If you fix it, I will pay your fee.

Sponsored Links
sorry dont cover london.got confused when i got past bodmin the other day.

does the fan run at low speed when there is no demand for HW or CH?

Was agreeing with you Paul. Have never professed to be an expert. There are far more experienced engineers on here than me!
One of the lads told me some figures that he checks for after running the DHW for 5 mins or so to see if Heat exch is okay- will speak to him again and post them

does the fan run at low speed when there is no demand for HW or CH?

Hi Twgas,

No, the fan only runs when there is a demand for either the hot water or the central heating. As soon as I run the hot water, or switch-on the central heating, the fan starts running at full speed. As far as I can remember, it has always worked in this way.

think what twgas was thinking that, when theres no demand the fan runs at a lower speed to expel the products of combustion from the pilot flame.doesnt sound like your symptoms though.unless youve noticed the pilot knocking out when not in use.

Get the engineer to monitor temperature on the flow pipe at the main heat exchanger. It is not being kept in check to rise uncontrolled to pop the pilot.

I still think you should consider combustion issues related to the flue pipe as previously discussed.

While agree that flue issues should be looked at, cannot imagine boiler running for two hours to then pop the pilot. Flue issues would cause the flame to pulse.

Thanks Axel, but the PCB is fine. It's been checked. Any other ideas ?
Do you have any experience with this particular boiler ?
Hundreds of them, I suppose. I've got through scores of pcbs, probably 20 gas valves, 20 fans, etc etc

Would any of you gents be willing to fix my boiler then ???
No. With intermittent faults the main means of diagnosis is parts replacement.
Info so far is inconsistent. Also YOU are saying the pcb is not at fault. You have no way of knowing, neither does anyone else.
No fix No fee, implies you aren't willing to pay for efforts which only prove what isn't faulty. Sorry not good enough. That leaves you able to call a halt and pay nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back