Puma 80e boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler is about 6 yrs old and was serviced annually up to Dec 2001. Last night the boiler stopped firing and now I see that the mains light is not coming on. I have checked the power, spur, and mains and all is fine. I am now without h/w or c/h. I think I can see a blue flame inside the ignition.

I need some ones help.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
common problem with the puma is that the top left hand side (on the back) of the pcb fries the joint. you would get exactly the same symptoms as you describe. you can either repair the board or replace it. have a look at some of the more recent posts there is a similar problem

weargas said:
common problem with the puma is that the top left hand side (on the back) of the pcb fries the joint. you would get exactly the same symptoms as you describe. you can either repair the board or replace it. have a look at some of the more recent posts there is a similar problem

weargas, thanks for your reply.

What is the pcb? I'm new to this. I previously had a potterton floor standing boiler (previous house) that I had for 17 yrs without a problem. So this very new to me. I digress. If I cannot find some one to fix it, do you know how much would I have to pay for a replacement?
Thanks again

Printed circuit board. Of the order of £100 for the board, plus the callout. If that's it, it's a quick job to resolder the pins on the back of the board but a lot of menders will insist on a new board. You could try asking when you ring round, if they'll resolder a joint on a board or not.

By next Tuesday (ater Easter)you could have bought yourself a soldering iron, learned how to use it & done the job...!

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
Printed circuit board. Of the order of £100 for the board, plus the callout. If that's it, it's a quick job to resolder the pins on the back of the board but a lot of menders will insist on a new board. You could try asking when you ring round, if they'll resolder a joint on a board or not.

By next Tuesday (ater Easter)you could have bought yourself a soldering iron, learned how to use it & done the job...!

Thanks to weargas and you Chris, my father found the fault as you predicted and was able to solder the offending wire. I'm happy to say that all systems are go. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back