pump on its way out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive got a grundfos alpha pro that my plumber fitted to replace my old pump, which he said wasn't upto the job when he fitted an unvented system and moved the pump upstairs. well its been running for a couple of months now, on and off as we are out most of the day, and tonight its decided to start making a grrrrr noise. I felt the pump housing and its almost as if the shaft is rattling against the sides causing vibration. I turned it off and then on and it isn't doing it now.

im wondering if the problems ive had with the boiler kettling are connected.

is the pump fixable or is it time to bin. if I bin it which pump should I replace it with?

Sponsored Links
Forgot to say in the first post, the plumber fitted secondhand one. To be honest I think my original pump was ok, but because they had the flow and return crossed, which I figured out about 3 weeks later, it made the old pump seem faulty.

Sponsored Links
If you agreed to the secondhand pump being fitted then you don't really have much option but to get it replaced with a new one. What other options are there?

Replace the pump with a new Alpha if you can......the body can stay put and will accept the new internals, including the impeller. At the same time, check there's nothing stuck in the body of the pump.
John :)

im thinking change the pump now and see if it fixes the kettling problem too.

ive seen an offer at screwfix on a Wilo Yonos Pico. I had heard wilo were bad, though this has a 5 year guarantee.

Grundfos are better if the water may be dirty.

But if I supply a second hand part at reduced cost then I still give a three month guarantee on it.

I only supply second hand parts when I know their history.

My advice is to have a new one of the same type and pay your plumber the difference between used part price and new one!

Is there really any alternative?

If you don't tell him what has happened he will probably carry on like that in the future.

Now, I am not saying that I have any problem with used parts as long as they are charged at a used part price and with a proper short guarantee. Indeed they are often a cost effective solution where for example the boiler is to be replaced within a year.

Tony

If the price is over £100, go with a British Gas boiler repair. They should be able to replace the pump (not body) in under 30mins, and therefore only £89.. :)

If the price is over £100, go with a British Gas boiler repair. They should be able to replace the pump (not body) in under 30mins, and therefore only £89.. :)

really? the cheapest I can get a alpha 2 (not the L) is about £117. then ive goto fit it.

would they sort the kettling at the same time, or is it one fault one fix?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back