Pump Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm can hearing a clicking sound coming from the boiler pump, its a Grundfos 15-50. The heating pump is the same type and is almost quite. Both seem to be working. Both are on the 2nd setting.

Does the clicking imply its worn or nearing its death?
Is it worth replacing or leaving well alone?

They have been in about 15 years, with no replacement.

Unfortunately the boiler pump is in a virtually impossible position to easily replace. It would require the heating pump to be removed first, and "maybe" some pipework cutting and replacing in front. Can't believe its been installed in such a difficult maintainable position.

I could probably reach the 4 hex screws on the pump body. Would it be feasible to just replace that part? Is it likely a new pump body would fit correctly to this one that is so old?

Sponsored Links
it is quite odd to have 2 pumps.
what sort of system is fitted ?
the only one that readily comes to mind is a gledhill boilermate.

& yes you can change just the head.

It is indeed a gledhill BM2.

So do you think the clicking sound is somekind of pump problem developing. Can't remember ever hearing it before.

to be honest it does not sound like a pump problem.
are you sure the clicking originates from the pump.
one pump runs to feed the gledhill tank (im assuming you think this is clicking).
the other only comes on when the heating is calling.
hold a large screwdriver to where you think the noise emanates. place your ear to it to narrow down exactly where.
the pcb fitted within the cylinder could possibly be the cause.

Sponsored Links
Its definately the boiler pump clicking (or something in that area). I can hear it coming from the pump, and have turned it off/on manually to ensure its only when the pump is running. If I turn the dial up/down on the pump the clicking also speeds/slows down.

certainly sounds like it then.

they are always a pleasure to work on ;)
Ive never seen one yet installed with any thought for ease of maintainance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back