Pumped or Gravity CH system?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi, I've just found your forum so this is my first question. I have read the other posts on this topic but as I live out in the Irish countryside and most of the other Q's seem to come from UK residents, I thought I'd double check to be sure - hope you don't mind! I want to buy a new CH/HW programmer and need to make sure I get the right one for my system (I am not experienced in plumbing,electrical work or DIY-ing - apart from decorating - in any way,shape or form!!)
Our water supply comes from a private well in our garden - we're not connected to the mains water. Our HW cylinder is in the airing cupboard (we live in a bungalow). There is a cold water tank in the loft which I presume, feeds the cylinder, which then (also presumed) heats the water. There don't seem to be any signs of a pump near the cylinder although there is a square box type item entitled MYSON POWER EXTRA and this is connected to the cylinder.
Does this mean my system is of the gravity type? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Myson power extra is a motorised valve. There must be a heat source to heat the water in the cylinder and the rads. A picture or 2 would assist in to ID your system type. How many tanks in the loft?

Hi Muggles and thanks for replying so quickly. We have a Firebird Oil fired boiler, which is situated outside of the house. Unfortunately there's no model number on it (or if there was, it's rubbed off!). Does that help?

Sponsored Links
can you put your heating on alone without the hot water coming on as well? that's a sure sign of a gravity system.

how many pipes come off the boiler? 4 would suggest gravity.

but as above, pictures would help.

014.JPG
015.JPG
016.JPG

Hi gasmanstu and pete, apols for the delay in replying. Hope the above pics help. Yes, I can operate the two systems independently by turning a valve (which hopefully you can just see above the Myson box, in the photo); it's because its such a pain to do this each time I want to operate the HW or CH alone, that I want to install a programmer.

Actually, scrap that last reply. I can put the HW on alone but if I set the valve to CH then both the CH and HW come on together.

Pete, just the one tank in the loft. Forgot to respond on this, sorry.

Hi, just wondered if anyone managed to come up with an answer to my question?

Do you have a circulator (aka pump) near the boiler? I'm not talking about the pump which brings the oil from tank to boiler, but one which looks similar to this:

View media item 802

Hi
and thanks for contacting me. The answer is no ( our boiler is situated outdoors).So I guess that means it's a gravity fed system but I'd be really grateful if you'd just confirm please. Many thanks.

The pump is most probably in the boiler, it looks like you have a fully pumped system but poorly controlled, you should not have to open and shut valves manually, maybe time to upgrade to an s plan.

The pump is most probably in the boiler, it looks like you have a fully pumped system
The expansion vessel should have told me it was a system boiler, so the pump would probably be in the boiler.

The model name may have been obliterated from the outside, but there should be a manufacturer's data plate somewhere which gives the model no, serial no etc . It may be behind one of the panels. Don't you have the boiler manual?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back