Pumped or Gravity CH system?

System boilers have the expansion vessel inside them as well as the pump it might be an extra expansion vessel but more likely a heat only sealed with the pump inside or close by.

Sponsored Links
Hi
Havefound manual and it seems there is a pump inside the boiler. But D Hailsham talked about a pump which brings the oil from the tank to the boiler,so I'm a little confused( again,sorry!). Where would that pump be? Near/ inside the tank?
Would there be 2 pumps, one in or near the tank,then the one inside the boiler is the one which ....does what? Sorry to be so thick but this really isn't my area of knowledge and before I get the new programmer I need to know which to set it to, pumped or gravity fed. Thanks for all your continued help,its really appreciated.

You are looking for a water pump, similar to that is the picture, should have a 22mm (3/4") diameter copper pipes running to/from it. Forget the oil pump, that will be part of the workings of the boiler, and probably integral with the burner assembly. It's irrelevant in this instance.

Hugh, thanks for your reply. The only pump I've seen is that inside the boiler ( the boiler being outside the house). The boiler is a Firebird Heatpac/Heatpac S 90 and the pump label says it is a Riello RDB 2.2 Firebird C26 90K,if that helps.
I still don't understand what this pump does or what it's job is. We have a cold water tank in the loft ( 1 tank only) and presumably this supplies water to the cylinder storage tank in my hot press ( see my earlier photos). Am I right, ie that the water is stored in the cylinder and that water is heated by the boiler,yes, or no?
So, ( warning: stupid question time) if there's no water in the boiler ( and I presume there isn't,because it's in the storage tank etc) when the boiler fires,does the pump inside the boiler shove the water in the storage tank around the rads etc?
Or am I talking absolute rubbish here???
I am so confused!

Sponsored Links
Right, will try and explain this. The Riello pump is to run the boiler. It sprays a mist of oil into the boiler which is then ignited and produces the heat required. This heat then transfers into the water inside the boiler jacket. It is nothing to do with getting that heated water around the house.

The radiators and Hot Water cylinder are basically 2 loops full of water. Water also expands when its heated, so some form of absorption has to be provided for that expansion. If you only have on tank inside the loft its possible your heating system is 'sealed', whereby the water in the system is topped up to maintain pressure by manually opening a valve to allow more water in, and expansion is absorbed inside the expansion vessel. (The Red steel vessel in your photo's)

You still need to search for the water pump, will look similar to that in D.Hailsham's earlier picture, although not necessarily that colour.

The Riello RDB 2.2 is the burner; it incorporates a pump which bring the fuel from the oil tank to the boiler.

This pic shows the location of the pump which circulates the water through the boiler, rads and HW cylinder coil (the coil heats up the water in the cylinder, which feeds the hot taps).

Hi Hugh and D.Hailsham and many thanks for your continued help,particularly Hugh for that explanation.
I have been unable to find any pump inside the house,the only one being that inside the boiler which Hailsham suggests brings the oil from the oil tank to the boiler.
So,does the absence of a pump indoors suggest that one is a gravity fed system?

I'm not going to rule it out, but I would also imagine highly unlikely, for the CH if nothing else. Gravity CH systems relied on large bore pipework, which rose to the highest point before coming back down (IIRC) to feed the rads, you're looking 28mm minimum I'd have thought. My money is on there's a pump somewhere, you've just got to find it. ;)

I see a manifold on your system. It's pumped and complex. You need a decent heating guy to tell you where to go. X

The oil pump is on the left hand side ofthe burner it's driven by the motor of the burner.When the motor runs so does the pump but it will not fire for 12or so secs,so don't worry if you have to wait for it to fire.Bob

Thank you oilboffin,jeffthegasman and Hugh. Hugh, the only place I haven't looked for this elusive pump is in the loft. Before I go scrabbling about up there, is it likely/ possible it could be there?
I feel like I'm taking 1 step forward and a hundred back. Maybe,as Jeff says, I need to get a heating engineer in....

It all depends on how the installer designed the system The pump could be in the loft; it could even be under the floor or behind the bath.

Ca you post a pic of the HW cylinder and all the surrounding pipework? One general view would be sufficient.

As D. Hailsham has said, pump could be anywhere. They are found hidden behind panels, under floors, could easily be in the loft. Think you need to start tracing the pipework from the boiler, anywhere it disappears needs to be investigated, and follow it up to the airing cupboard. Hopefully somewhere will be, (there has to be!), a pump.

Can I just ask, is there a difference between a pressurised system and a pumped one and if so,can you explain please ( in idiots guide terms please(n) Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back