Pumps wiring on a S plan ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got to assist finding a fault next week on some pumps that have no power
It is a big building it has a big boiler ,and a big immersion tank

There are two straight honeywell valves and two smallpumps,
as well as a bigger pump by the imm tank.

Should I swat up on an s plan diagram,
What would be the function of the 3 pumps be, and will they be linked to work with the honeywell valves.

There is also another small boiler and just a pump, possibly for one of the floors,
Would that pump run permenently

Is there a basic procedure to check these valves and there outputs

I am still looking for a nice book to try to learn some of it

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Just stick to carrying his tools and assisting!!

Its to be hoped your colleague is more experienced!! :LOL:

You are out of your depth here.

Dave

Yes I agree , we have been asked to look though and have no option, as the So called Heating engineers, Cannot do it, and for some reason five of them.
And say there is a cable fault ,
although they cannot tell us how or where the wires might go,

We can follow the cable through two floors ,which we will do,

but with an idea we could just check point to point.
And confirm to the heating engineers the result

I used to remember often the faults were the valves seized and the contacts not working, but its been a while and want to read up on it

It was here on this site , that I was told most learn the wiring side, through experience, so I need to start somewhere.

We are electricians and agree we dont know, all the pipework etc .

Sponsored Links
Big building with big boilers require big boys.

If you don't know what does what don't bother because you can do a lot of damage, including splitting the boiler, and that would cost you a years wages at least.

It is a big building it has a big boiler ,and a big immersion tank

There are two straight honeywell valves and two smallpumps,
as well as a bigger pump by the imm tank.

There is also another small boiler and just a pump, possibly for one of the floors,

Does the big immersion tank look anything like THIS? i.e not a conventional foam covered cylinder.

If so it is a Thermal Store system and your clients need a heating engineer who understands them. The makers of the cylinder would be the best people to advise on who to use.

Info about how thermal store systems work can be read HERE

Just stick to carrying his tools and assisting!!

Its to be hoped your colleague is more experienced!! :LOL:
Thanks, for the confidence.

1st Pump traced back to panel (no Drawings) next to heating panel, contactor controlled by boiler pump output, no supply out to pump, due to one pole of three pole contactor open circuit. :eek:

2nd pump traced back to same panel, contactor supplied from valve aux output, fed from data box output controlled by electronic stat,no supply to pump due to previous heating engineer removing contactor pump supply fuse thinking it was a redundant panel, to try to fix his heating panel. :eek:

All cables tested correct fuses fitted etc
All pumps now working as before

Just waiting for the boiler to be serviced by a corgi eng :) :rolleyes:

One wonders why five days have passed!

When I used to do commercial gas callouts they wanted me there within two hours ???

Tony

I am not having a dig ,just updating how I got on.

It was not one of our clients and there was concerns about payment ,we do electrical , and do not normally get involved with heating,we went to help out at our convenience , which was yesterday.

As he alledgedly had problems getting a heating firm to do it.

Personally think it was coz of his attitude as he was an utter a******e

The pumps had been off for three weeks and, there was no heating to half the premises anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back