Puncture repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The car 'told' Mrs Mottie that she had a puncture on the way to work in the A3 today so she came back home and took the Golf and left it to me. She wanted me to take it to a tyre shop for repair but I don’t trust them so I ran it up the workshop and found a screw in the n/s/f. I have the equipment so I did it myself. I suspect there’s not many on here that have the equipment so this is just to show you what should be done if the tyre is to retain its original speed and load rating. Obviously, a repair should only be made to a tyre that will meet the legal standards when repaired - above the minimum tread depth, no cords or bulges showing etc. Minor repairs should only be carried out if the damage is in the middle three quarters of the tyre tread area.

First, locate the primary damage and mark it. Usually it’s quite obvious but if no object visible, a soapy water solution will show you where it is.

6BE8244F-E3B7-4455-B49F-B651465EDAC8.jpeg
Next, remove the tyre and check for run flat or secondary damage inside the casing. Remove the object and determine angle of penetration.

75042B1A-973F-4B11-973E-A29C8F208A36.jpeg

Ream out the hole at the correct angle of penetration to accept the plug (or mushroom) patch.

5A0FD0B8-713C-4506-AB5F-4AE6941177EF.jpeg

Buff up the inner casing to a Matt finish and remove any ridges to an area slightly larger that the plug patch. Apply adhesive and leave to completely dry.

EA35B9DA-0560-474A-88B2-0290C030D880.jpeg 946B9788-81A0-4F36-A52A-0E6566259B06.jpeg

Pull the plug through the tyre and use the roller to ensure the patch is firmly in contact with the tyre casing.

BB49CC22-9907-4A97-B5FC-24D213AE6538.jpegE92ED204-D5BC-4B14-85B3-27708396212D.jpeg

Fit a new valve as a matter of good practice, check the balance of the wheel. The tyre, which had only been balanced less than a month ago, was fitted in exactly the same position as it came off, was now out of balance.
79313E37-E5F1-4559-9830-EF7F80B0DB11.jpeg DC4B5CBC-E7EC-4DCE-94AB-3D64639AFB3F.jpeg

Removed all the old weights, rechecked and fitted new weights and checked again. Perfect!

5867CA0F-FCB4-4B67-B548-F5395A87FA82.jpeg

Never accept a repair where they repair the tyre without even taking it off the rim unless it’s only a temporary get-you-home measure.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, really interesting.

Its annoying that punctures can’t be repaired in the sidewall or near the edge - I’ve come a cropper on that a few times. Years ago some idiots punctured loads of tyres in my street, including mine - by sticking a compass or similar in the side walls - new tyres needed, my neighbour has a Merc and his tyres were £250 each to replace

I rescued a biker the other day - GSXR Suzuki with a flat rear.
I had a can of Finilec and an on board compressor.
He bunged the hole first with these:
A new one on me, these......but between us we got him home, 30 miles away.
John :)

I rescued a biker the other day - GSXR Suzuki with a flat rear.
I had a can of Finilec and an on board compressor.
He bunged the hole first with these:
A new one on me, these......but between us we got him home, 30 miles away.
John :)
Twice on our European motorcycle road trips, a can of slime has got someone home from the South of France.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Mottie. When I think about it, £20 for a puncture repair the other week, doesn't work out as a great hourly rate! How long did that process take, from starting to jack the car up, to lowering pulling the jack back out?

Thanks Mottie. When I think about it, £20 for a puncture repair the other week, doesn't work out as a great hourly rate! How long did that process take, from starting to jack the car up, to lowering pulling the jack back out?

That took me about half an hour including the balance because it was a low profile (40) tyre, very stiff and I was being careful not to damage the rim with the ancient tyre machine I have without an assist arm. I was also taking photos but if it was a normal profile tyre I’d say around 15 minutes. Less if I was doing them all day, every day! Longest part of the procedure was waiting for the solvent to cure before fitting the plug patch.

My personal best starting with an inflated tyre off the car for completely removing the tyre, refit and inflate is 58.26 seconds. :cool:

personally I'd say 2, possibly 3 an hour is good going, very few tyres/rims are easy any more

taking the cost of equipment into account £20 is a sensible figure, possibly on the cheap side.

Back