purlin joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can any of you qualified joiners advise me on how to join purlins together so BC don't have a problem. having a 1st floor side extension on my 3 bed semi. the roof has a hip but after extension would be made to a gable end. need to extend the 2 purlins and the ridge board. Butt and splice or half scarves maybe? the purlins
are supported on the internal walls built up into loft space

Sponsored Links
This is a structural element and the BCO will want top see evidence of a structural engineer having done the calcs, I feel. He/she (the SE) would also be able to advise on suitable jointing techniques, although something like 2m+ equivalent size fishplates, bolt, square washers and star washers in the joints may well be called for. TBH spliced joints are difficult enough for a pro to achieve in workshop conditions - on site they are even more difficult, and no structural engineer in the UK would sign off on them as they are impossible to quantify. So you are barking up the wrong tree here, I feel. I've seen a lot of badly done ones in the past which makes me highly sceptical of their use

I bet your SE will design the roof with a steel purlin (with timber on top) going from your new gable to your old side wall. Then in fill above the old hips with new rafter sections.

Or are you pulling the hips out altogether?

thanks for replys guys...just got thrown a curve ball. Architect just rang saying the power that be would like to know...would we be open to hipped roof on extension now. Asked them is a gable 100% out of the question......basically yeah. So basically now I have to remove the hip , extend and hip the roof again. any good framing and roofing books out there to get to grips in my mind

Sponsored Links
no mate..was planning on doing so in the future but the lack of a gable end now....thinking not

You could gable what was the original house and have the hip over the extension. That way you could still have a decent sized loft.

Are you doing the roof yourself, I got in a roofing carpenter, did the lots on his own in 3 days including dragging up the 3x9 purlins [6m]on his own, £200 per day but cheaper than neighbours who had a gang of carpenters on his roof for over a week [and half the work]. Amazing chap , and in his 60's.

Sorry been on holiday... yeah planning on doing most of the work myself. My lads a brickie so between us I think we'll manage. Just waiting for changed plans which he's dropping off today. Be in touch guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back