purlin and ridge board extending

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can someone help me out here please.
I'm doing an 1st floor extension over a ground floor garage conversion. All foundations checks planning sorted ect...the house has a hip roof and converting to a gable end. How do you extend the purlins and ridge board. The purlins as they stand are supported on supporting walls in the loft. I've googled and seen scarf joints and other people say butt join and splice. And also the plans say to use 4x2 for roof spars when the origional are 3x2. Any info appreciated. Any 1 know of any reading material I could download or buy to help me out here.
Thanks muchly
Mark

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure you would need a structural engineer to design it for you.

Your house sounds just like mine and our ridge board is like a piece of skirting board. The new one will be steel and effectively make the house hip to gable, with a new hipped end over the extension.

We used a structural engineer from Manchester and myself and Rochdale Council were very happy with his work.

Sponsored Links
no its a semi detached with a hip now. with attached garage, which is to built over with a gable end....doing away with any hip

the ridge board doesn't really need joining but you could just nail a wooden plate over the joint.
The purlin may need to be designed depending on it's length or might not be necessary depending on the run of the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back