Push button toilet problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a push button toilet fitted and it is driving me nuts that sometimes it wont refill the cistern up and keeps constantly filling from the toilet itself and sometimes it is ok and fills the cistern up. I have worked out that if i twist the white tube with the yellow tube coming of it it will suddenly start filling the cistern up. I have attached a pic, please help its driving me mad :( Thankyou

Sponsored Links
That yellow tube is a cable sounds like it's getting to much of a kink in it when the lids down so not moving freely and the flush valve not closing fully when flushed.

The part that has the yellow cable tube attached is the syhpon. They are usually a bayonet fix to the bit at the bottom of the cistern. If you can't position the cable so that it is free, you may be able to remove the syphon and refit 180 degrees so the yellow bit comes out the other side and so make it easier for it to be kink free.

Should you attempt this, turn off the water first then be gentle when twisting the syphon. But as you have already found you can move it, it should not be a problem.

That's a flush valve not a syphon.
And it won't fit 180 degrees cause the fill valve is in the way.

Sponsored Links
That's a flush valve not a syphon.
And it won't fit 180 degrees cause the fill valve is in the way.

Yep still thinking old there! - I take your point about the fill valve as the photo is cropped there should be plenty of space as it is, so just carefully arranging the cable should be all that is required - Going back to sleep now cheers.

Been looking at the yellow tube and can't see that it is kinked. I was wondering if the flush valve itself has a problem and maybe replacing it with a new one, the flush valve in the system now was only fitted approx 2 months ago and was wondering if it is faulty. Thankyou for your help :D

It could be some debris on the seal of the flush valve (Got it right that time!) Or even the seal not quite seated properly.

Turn off the water to save it, unplug the flush valve by twisting it further and inspect the seal to see that it is clean and seated properly all the way around. As with all these plastic things, don't use excessive force as that's the way to break them!

Edit: it will not be the first time that I have found a new valve assembled in a hurry with a seal slightly out of place, fortunately the last time I spotted it before fitting. The seal itself looks like a huge rubber washer at the bottom of the flush valve when you pull it out. often just seated into a groove, if not fully seated in that groove it can distort it a little

Thankyou Blagard for the advice. Just to be sure, do i just twist the flush valve and pull it up after i have turned the water off? Thankyou

Phoned him several times and he says he will be around but never does, given up on him now, as i said it is driving me nuts and gonna sort it out myself.

Thankyou Blagard for the advice. Just to be sure, do i just twist the flush valve and pull it up after i have turned the water off? Thankyou

Water off first - to stop more water coming in
Ideally flush the Loo to empty it to the bottom of the valve
Twist then lift out the flush valve - It will be loose when the bayonet coupling is clear
If you have not flushed the cistern already all the water will now go down into the pan!

So much for Tradesmen, heey.

If you are going to go through the trouble of sorting it, it may be better to fit something different to what he fitted. Ofcourse, that will involve taking the sistern out completely but would mean you do not have to worry if the cable catches onto intrnal fittings or if it kinks.

Fluidmaster valves are pretty good

Was looking at the Fluidmaster range and see they have good reports. I just hope that when i remove it today that i will find the problem and get it sorted. As i said earlier it was only fitted in about 2 months ago and its be like it since day one :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back