Push button toilet problem!

Sponsored Links

While I have noted on the image that the Flush valve should twist off, you need to have a good look at the base of it to see if the Bayonet type fixings I am thinking of are present before you try to remove it.

Sponsored Links
The screw at the far left side if I twiddle it stops the topping up for a short time.

Be aware that by twiddling that screw on the water inlet valve you will be adjusting the amount of water held in the cistern. If the level is too high it will go over the top of the overflow pipe (the white open tube in the middle of your picture) & into the pan, too low and you won't have sufficient volume of water for an effective flush.

Definitely worth cleaning or replacing the washer on the flush valve as Blagard has said, and see if that cures the problem.

However, the design of flush valve you have is the same as type as the one I used to have in my toilet & I had a problem with it leaking water into the pan, particularly after a short flush. On mine, the operation of the blue floats in the valve were temperamental so I replaced the whole valve assembly with a Fluidmaster one and, touch wood, it's been OK since. Doing that requires dismantling the toilet though, so try the washer first ;)

While I have noted on the image that the Flush valve should twist off....
Will it twist? The overflow looks too close to the front wall to allow it to twist anti-clockwise.

I agree it looks like the side wall could well interfere, but it does need checking out carefully as the only other option to get at the seal properly is to remove the cistern! Hopefully it is one that can be twisted either way with simply lugs that engage rather than a true bayonet type that will only twist one way to come off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back