push Fit Joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Just wondering if there is some trick to get push fit to seal. I've plumbed all my house and only recently converted to push fit pipe and connections but the odd one just won't seal. I ended up replacing all my push fit fittings with compression fittings and so far no leaks. I was just wondering if there is something I'm doing wrong as everyone seems to rave about them. Like I said push fit pipe and compression fittings is what I use now and always will. But I was just curious.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ive used them for a while, normally just wet the rubber ring before pushing on. But obviously like any fitting, the pipe should be clean and round before applying

Thanks James. I've got one last drip and its on my hot water tail to a mixer tap. I've used push fit connections so I'm going to give it one more go then failing that its coming off and ill put the compression one on that was supplied. It's been a right pain. Ill give the seal a dampen and see what happens. The cut is straight as I have a proper pipe cutter, and I'm using inserts.

Plastic pipe doesn't like to have scratches on the outside and as suggested, see that the 'o' ring doesn't displace.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Make sure you buy speedfit fittings.
Plastic pipe should have inserts
Use a proper plastic pipe cutter

The cut is straight as I have a proper pipe cutter, and I'm using inserts.

When you say proper do you mean a cutter specific for plastic piping?
Or a copper cutter than you're using on plastic?

I ask because i've used a copper cutter on plastic in the past and because you turn the cutter (or pipe) i found that it moved and scratched/grooved the pipe, leading to what burnerman said about plastic not liking scratches inside the fitting.

If you're using the snips where you rest the pipe in a semi circle and basically guillotine down to cut it then ensure that your cuts are square. Again, i've been guilty of them not being and guess what......dribble dribble dribble.

I've since learned, lol.

Hope it helps.

edit: also, have you locked all the fittings? Again, i've often forgotten to do that and they've leaked.

That said, i tend to use speedfit and never have an issue tbh.

apart from scratching the pipes and the fitting leaking, not cutting a pipe square and the fitting leaking and not locking the pipe and the fitting leaking. ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Well, that's just fine then :mrgreen:

apart from scratching the pipes and the fitting leaking, not cutting a pipe square and the fitting leaking and not locking the pipe and the fitting leaking. ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Well, that's just fine then :mrgreen:

Lol....yeah.

But i did also say...."I've since learned, lol."

That was my disclaimer btw. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back