Putting up canopy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20220512_152950.jpg
Putting this up above a door. The instructions it has a syringe type thing on it is that external silicone?

Also, what's the best way to seal the gap between wall and canopy?
20220513_081457.jpg
20220513_081452.jpg
20220512_153050.jpg
20220513_173359.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It’s silicone to stop the rain getting through.

I bet the screw holes hit the lintel…..

looks like a timber packer or something above the door

Sponsored Links
Joking apart - if the fixings to the wall are provided, and are as long as the illustration shows them, they are useless. You have render - you need long and strong fixings which will go well in to the brick. The leverage on that wide canopy with a fairly short wall fixing is going to be large. If it was me I would be using drop in anchors and stud bar. Wind the stud bar into the anchors using locked nuts and a spanner until really strong, cut off to length and then stick a nut and washer on to secure the canopy. Preferably in stainless. https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug...4RN0hKzWYXteJICf48UaArOUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

there are other fixings that will work, but I have a personal preference for stud and anchors

It’s silicone to stop the rain getting through.

I bet the screw holes hit the lintel…..

looks like a timber packer or something above the door
Maybe put bottom of canopy just above that timber packer and brick on right. The wall is part of flat upstairs' stair's. Single skinned wall even though an external wall to their doorway, hence the canopy to deflect rain which is causing damp problems on the walls just inside door. This is its purpose apparently

Think I'll be drilling into area just above downstairs ceiling just above door.

Fixings supplied in picture , approx 70mm the canopy is very light, red markings are where damp is getting through wall on single skinned wall
20220514_133049.jpg
20220514_132734.jpg
20220514_132715.jpg

Last edited:
A canopy will not solve any damp problems.

More likely is that the stairs or whatever that angled section above is has an area where water collects and then seeps through gaps and joints

A canopy will not solve any damp problems.

More likely is that the stairs or whatever that angled section above is has an area where water collects and then seeps through gaps and joints
exactly what I was thinking -especially as its a single skin wall so no cavity to discharge water

the stairs is basically a form of parapet wall -and we know what they are like for damp :eek:

Damp may be from hopper if it’s blocked and poorly position pipe work splashing rainwater against the wall .

Thxs, anyhow it's still going up even if useless to stop damp., If the those fixings it came with are no good I've got some thunderbolts
1652545973787493652782279341046.jpg

Think I'd just move the canopy up a little, so it clears the lintel/wood infill.

That canopy will be light as a feather, the original fittings should be sufficient to do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back