Putty or Silicone ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cant find too many mentions of this

I have to replace a small glass pane 30 cm x 33 cm in my garage rear door. I've used putty in the past but with all this wet weather and even though the door is pretty sheltered from the rain I wondered if silicones were a better option ?

The doors are a rosewood/mahogany dark brown and fine a silicone that would be dark enough is quite hard. Any advise appreciated

Sponsored Links
You can get sealants in a wide variety of colours if you are prepared to.look further than a DIY shed or Screwfix. Try Sealants and Tools Direct as one possible source. They do sealants a wide range of RAL colours, one of which might well be suitable for your job. Yes, not cheap, but not too bad when you consider that putty comes in... oh, 1 colour

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant find too many mentions of this

I have to replace a small glass pane 30 cm x 33 cm in my garage rear door. I've used putty in the past but with all this wet weather and even though the door is pretty sheltered from the rain I wondered if silicones were a better option ?

The doors are a rosewood/mahogany dark brown and fine a silicone that would be dark enough is quite hard. Any advise appreciated
glass can be bedded on a low modulus silicone - use low mod, neutral cure or MS polymer

The problem is if the glass needs to be face puttied rather than timber beads

it’s certainly possible to use an acrylic glazing sealant, but it’s tricky to use

Sorry, should have said that I was assuming a hardwood glazing bead with sealant... Does anyone still putty windows in, other than sliding sashes?

Sponsored Links
Thanks peeps

I did find some putty in dark brown. I am replacing just one pane, out of six, in a back garage door. All the others were originally installed with putty so of course I was focussed on matching. So it never occurred to me to use a hardwood glazing bead. DOH!

I need to check how much space I have to do that but worth checking out. Thanks

You can stain putty to an extent by mixing in oil stain or oil paints. This is because putty contains linseed oil. Personally I wouldn't bother, but I thought it worth a mention as I sometimes use stained putty to fill holes in original timberwork such as oak panelling

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mixed solvent based mahogany stain in the putty in the past which works ok but it usually needs a few more layers of stain on the top of it to darken it down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back