Puzzled on how to wire some lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've read the wiring diagram thread and tried a few variations but I'm still puzzled.

I have a kitchen/dining room as one room with one light fitting over each area. Currently one switch turns these lights on and off. I would like to replace this one switch for a 2 switch plate and have the two light fittings able to switch on/off independently.

I've done a diagram to better explain and as you can see, currently at the switch is 1 three core and earth cable (blue,yellow,red,earth).

At the kitchen light fitting are 3 cables: 1 three core and earth and 2 two core and earth (red,black,earth).

At the dining room light fitting is 1 cable, a two core and earth (red,black earth).

Can I have them switched independently and if so how would I wire the lot?

I've put letters on each terminal to make explanations easier, I'm not that bright!

Cheers

Steve

Sponsored Links
Not sure if my diagram is visible, I think I added it but let me know if you can't see it and I'll try again!

nope: If you can't see it, neither can anyone else.... ;)

Sponsored Links
First, are all the wires in your kitchen/ diner disconnected as suggested by your diagrams?

Second, are there any other switches for the kitchen / dining room lights?

If not, the first thing to do (WITH POWER SAFELY ISOLATED) is to check that the 3 core at the switch is the one going to the kitchen light.

This can be done with a DMM - Digital Multimeter set to continuity. If you have not got one, borrow or buy one: well worth the investment. Maplins sell a basic one for around a tenner.

If the 3 core goes directly between the switch and the kitchen light, then you're halfway there.

One of the T&E cables from the kitchen light should be the feed, the other the cable to the dining light.

The feed can be determined using the DMM on the 240V setting, the cable to the dining light by using continuity.

If all the cables can be identified as above, doing what you wish is easy.

Pictures would be a great help, of the wires in the ceiling if they are still connected.

Thanks Securespark.

I don't have a multimeter, I'll pick one up tomorrow. But I've lifted a few boards upstairs and the 3 core is going directly to the kitchen light and I've identified the cable to the dining room light so the other must be the feed.

They are all disconnected and there aren't any other switches for these lights

I'll have to pick up my sisters digicam tomorrow for pics if this will help clarify.

Hi

I've read the wiring diagram thread and tried a few variations but I'm still puzzled.

I have a kitchen/dining room as one room with one light fitting over each area. Currently one switch turns these lights on and off. I would like to replace this one switch for a 2 switch plate and have the two light fittings able to switch on/off independently.

I've done a diagram to better explain and as you can see, currently at the switch is 1 three core and earth cable (blue,yellow,red,earth).

At the kitchen light fitting are 3 cables: 1 three core and earth and 2 two core and earth (red,black,earth).

At the dining room light fitting is 1 cable, a two core and earth (red,black earth).

Can I have them switched independently and if so how would I wire the lot?

I've put letters on each terminal to make explanations easier, I'm not that bright!

Cheers

Steve

Are you sure they can't be switched elsewhere as well.

If not, and that's your only switch (2 gang two way), then do this.

I've ignored the CPCs (green & yellow) in this description to keep it simple......I'm guessing you'll know where they should go.

At switch (Three core & E):

a - Red (sleeved brown)

c - Blue (sleeved brown)

e - yellow (sleeved brown)

You then need to link a and b with a small piece of brown 1.5mm.

At dining room light fitting (Twin & E):

p - black

u - red

At the kitchen light fitting:

This is the tricky one - you need to determine which twin & earth cable is your 'live' feed.

Once you have established this, connect it as follows - (after isolating again!)

i - black

j - red

Then connect the three core and earth as follows:

k - red (sleeved brown)

m - blue (sleeved brown)

PUT THE YELLOW CONDUCTOR (sleeved brown) IN A SEPERATE CONNECTOR BLOCK.

Then connect the remaining twin & earth as follows:

h - black

PUT THE RED CONDUCTOR IN THE CONNECTOR BLOCK WITH THE YELLOW CONDUCTOR (sleeved brown).

Your light fittings then connect to g & n and o & v respectively.

I think that's right :)
Hope it helps.

Great thanks.

I'll try in daylight tomorrow as it's difficult to see under the lamplight I have at the mo!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Sorry I didn't answer your question. 100% sure that they aren't switched anywhere else at present. I would have thought that they have always been on one switch too, as the room was built as a single kitchen/diner and hasn't been opened up. Also there is only one door into the kitchen/diner, so I wouldn't have thought there would be a need for another switch to have activated these lights in the past.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back