Puzzled.. Wiring a touch light from old switch

SMF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Puzzled.. I am trying to replace an old 2 gang 1 way switch (see below how is wired) to a new 2 gang 1 way touch light switch (2nd picture), however I'm confused by the wires. Although a total novice, Im guessing the one were there is 2 res wres attached, is power and is being looped over to switch 2 to give that power, but I'm unsure what the solo red wire and yellow wire are. Can anyone please advise, any help is really appreciated.

socket.jpg

switch.jpg

Sponsored Links
I didnt see an earth although is an old house, however I can have a look in morning to see if there is an earth inside socket, I believe the new socket wouldnt need the earth. Would you know what wires, ie yellow wire is that in L and then unsure which red etc in L1 etc if that makes sense.

L2 and L1 on new switch are for the two switched lives ,yellow ,and red as explained above. The other reds go together in L.

• Thanks
Reactions: SMF
Sponsored Links
Right that makes sense.

So yellow into L1, The Solo Red if L2 and the 2 wires that are connected by the loop into L.

I just couldnt also understand why there is a loop connecting the other 2 reds. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

One red is live feed in ,the other live feed out to next accessory. The bridge wire just links the two and provides live feed to second gang.

• Thanks
got you, once again thank you so much for your help and advice.

You should check other metal switchplates in the property to ensure they are earthed.

• Thanks
Thanks Terry, I have just checked the switch and can see that the back plate is earthed, is this ok? I have also checked quickly another switch in the dining room and that metal switch is earthed, is this normal that can be the back plate or metal plate? I also believe that only metal switches need to be earthed, is this correct?

The earth conductors (wires) should connect to the earth terminal of the metal switchplate. If your reference to a " back plate" is the galvanised metal mounting box where the earth conductors are terminated ,that doesn't earth the switchplate !! It's common for a flying earth link to go between the back box and switchplate
Plastic switchplates don't require earthing ,and don't have an earth terminal. Not to be confused with plastic power sockets ( plug sockets) which must be earthed ,and do have earth terminals.

• Thanks
So, would i be right in saying that if I dont connect the new touch light switch, I could take the earth of the back plate and reconnect it to the metal switch plate as like the one in the dining room.

However as am I putting a new touch switch which doesnt have an earth terminal, in simple terms it doesnt need earth as no where for it to be connected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back