Puzzled

I am going to check today, as it is sometime since I originally did work in property, returned this week as the kitchen fitter has been. I was reminded of the issue on return, thinking it would be easily solved.
But I am sure I tested voltage prior to replacing socket plate, I all ways do! But will double check that i was not having an off/on day!

Sponsored Links
After revisiting the property, and confirming continuity, polarity, voltage values, Zs and RCD tripping.
I then checked the breaker, and it seem a faulty breaker on he kitchen radial was a factor.
As this breaker was not opening, still strange though! I did try all breakers and they did power down circuit/parts of circuits.
As the socket under question was not worked on until recently and after the new kitchen was fitted. I can only assume that the MCB has become faulty since I first worked on the circuit and was asked to replace the face plate on this particular socket outlet.
But still puzzled why, when I removed the live busbar from iso and MCBs, the socket came live when main RCD isolator was closed and then powered down when opened?

To my mind the only logical way for that to happen would be reverse polarity at the CU, but you checked that.

DS

Sponsored Links
Reverse polarity might mean that a magic wand lights up when the breaker is off, but no matter how many very good reasons there are why we don't allow SP switches in the neutral, if a switch in the neutral is opened the socket(s) will not power appliances any more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back