Puzzled

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
6 way board, RCD main isolator.
When all the MCBs are open, one socket only remains energised.
When RCD/main iso is opened, this socket then powers down.
Not evidence of any connected cable to this socket via any MCBs or load side of RCD.

Sponsored Links
Are you testing it with a neon screwdriver? :)

Line conductor connected to or shorting to busbar is all I can think of.
What else could it be?

Are you testing it with a neon screwdriver? :)
Would I:whistle:
Line conductor connected to or shorting to busbar is all I can think of.
What else could it be?
I could see no evidence of anything touching busbar or connected to load side of RCD.
It was not what I was initially looking for, but discovered the abnormality when identify circuits. Will double check that there is not a touch line conductor tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
I'm with Flameport, failed closed circuit MCB, but somewhat unlikely there is a circuit for one socket?

What's the cabling situation inside this socket?

I'm with Flameport, failed closed circuit MCB, but somewhat unlikely there is a circuit for one socket?

What's the cabling situation inside this socket?
This particular socket only has a single set of T&E terminated at the socket.
6 circuits divided into
One ring final circuit that powers down when MCB opened
One Kitchen Radial that powers down when MCB opened
Upstairs lights that powers down when MCB opened
Downstairs lights that powers down when MCB opened
Cooker circuit that powers down when MCB opened
Second radial for utility, that powers down when MCB opened.
When all these MCBs are opened the one double socket remains powered, so I now doubt it can be a faulty breaker, as each device does seem to power down a circuit.

somewhat unlikely there is a circuit for one socket?

Looks unlikely now, but just to say I have seen plenty of cooker circuits in my time converted to a radial with a double on it.

Pull the service fuse, if the socket still has power, go next door!

Regards,

DS

Pull the service fuse, if the socket still has power, go next door!

Regards,

DS
It goes off when the main switch opens...

When you say it's live, what are the actual voltage readings L-N L-E E-N?

With all the MCBs in the OFF position does the socket in question support a load ( a lamp for example ) and still have more than 230 volts Live to Neutral ? Capacitive coupling can make a socket appear Live when tested with a high impedance voltmeter ( no load on circuit ) but the voltage dis-appears ( or drops significantly ) when there is any load.

somewhat unlikely there is a circuit for one socket?

Looks unlikely now, but just to say I have seen plenty of cooker circuits in my time converted to a radial with a double on it.
I am sure it is not related to the cooker circuit, as this is one of the circuits I had altered, to relocated CCU and outlet.
I am going to take a good look at internals of the CU today behind the iso switch and buzbar. It was only by chance this was noticed yesterday. As I had been asked to replace all the face plates on the socket outlets in the property. After relocating cooker circuit and adding some socket to the ring final and installing a couple loft lights.

Last edited:
When you say it's live, what are the actual voltage readings L-N L-E E-N?
With all the MCBs in the OFF position does the socket in question support a load ( a lamp for example ) and still have more than 230 volts Live to Neutral ? Capacitive coupling can make a socket appear Live when tested with a high impedance voltmeter ( no load on circuit ) but the voltage dis-appears ( or drops significantly ) when there is any load.
The socket will support a load, such as power tools, kettle, battery charger, radio etc.. And I get voltage, polarity and a Zs as you would expect from a normal functioning socket.
Just to clarify the instrument used for testing was a MFT1720.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back