Q Re. Power through coax to Masthead amplifier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a masthead amplifier on the TV aerial that is fed in the normal way via a PSU and coax cable from behind one of the TV's. Next week I am having new windows installed and the "powerback" coax cable which goes through the old window frame will be the devil's own job to remove unharmed.

So could I simply cut the coax cable near the PSU fit a male connector and rejoin it to the old cable routed in behind the new window frame, with a male connector fitted and join via a simple female connector ?

Or will it be "live" ! Are there any connectors designed for this purpose ?

What other options would you suggest ?

Thanks John

Sponsored Links
You have 12V and low current (<0.5A) running through the cable. There's no risk of electrocution to you.

The only thing I would say is that you really should switch off the power supply before doing any disconnection or cutting of the cable. Not for your safety, but to avoid shorting out the power supply.

Connections in coax cable are best made with F connectors on the end of each cable, then an F-to-F back-to-back connector. Here's a link to the three bits shown together, but this one is for a thinner cable. You need F connectors for RG6 / WF100 sized cable which is about 6.7~6.9mm diameter. The back-to-back connector is the same size regardless of the size of the F connector size used for aerial/satellite work.

These plugs aren't waterproof. So make any connection indoors. TBH though, most masthead amp power supplies don't have captive aerial cables. So you should be able to disconnect the aerial cable from the amp, remove the plug, and thread the cable back through the hole in a reverse of how it was installed. This is potentially simpler so long as the cable isn't painted or too stiff.

You have 12V and low current (<0.5A) running through the cable. There's no risk of electrocution to you.

The only thing I would say is that you really should switch off the power supply before doing any disconnection or cutting of the cable. Not for your safety, but to avoid shorting out the power supply.

Thanks Chris - most helpful. John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back